X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barenboim on Beethoven: The Lost Tapes Ch4

Tonight 19 December 1830 - 2020
    Films made by Barenboim, never before seen on television

...and 20.20 until 3.30am on More4 - 13 programmes in all (what timers were made for!).

Including, at midnight, du Pré with Barenboim playing the ‘Cello Sonata in A major.

Comment

And Boult conducting in the piano concerto extracts - there is on now a 2 hour highlights programme on Channel 4.

Comment

I'll try and catch this on all4. I missed the start and in any case my hard drive is almost full.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Tonight 19 December 1830 - 2020
          Films made by Barenboim, never before seen on television
          This has been discussed on another thread - can't remember which. I understand that 6 of the 13 episodes WERE broadcast back in 1970, but only in the Granada TV region (Source: article in the London Times cited on BBC Radio 3 Breakfast programme).

Comment

Is there catch-up TV for the Barenboim Beethoven series on Channel 4 and More 4? I don't really want to have to stayup all night, and I'm probably too late to set up a recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Is there catch-up TV for the Barenboim Beethoven series on Channel 4 and More 4? I don't really want to have to stayup all night, and I'm probably too late to set up a recorder.
              If you sign up for 'All Four', I believe: catchup for all the various Ch4 stations.

Comment

Watched it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially with Sir Adrian and his rather long baton!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I watched some of it, but after a while I found the outdated presentation began to grate. To a degree DB's 27-year old enthusiasm and articulacy was winning. I also didn't know that he had been conducting back then. A highlight was seeing Jacqueline du Pré and him playing. I may dip into some of the other programmes on catchup. But the straight-to-camera at the piano talking head was, for me, at that time, too wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    Watched it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially with Sir Adrian and his rather long baton!
                    All 13 programmes - bravo!

Comment

I watched some of it, but after a while I found the outdated presentation began to grate. To a degree DB's 27-year old enthusiasm and articulacy was winning. I also didn't know that he had been conducting back then. A highlight was seeing Jacqueline du Pré and him playing. I may dip into some of the other programmes on catchup. But the straight-to-camera at the piano talking head was, for me, at that time, too wearing.
                      Me too, KB.

Comment

For me, nothing grated at all. I thoroughly enjoyed these and found them most interesting. I found the young Barenboim's straight-to-camera presentation very engaging.

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                          For me, nothing grated at all. I thoroughly enjoyed these and found them most interesting. I found the young Barenboim's straight-to-camera presentation very engaging.
                          Yes, like Pappano's lockdown videos on opera scenes - him at his piano at home. Brilliant!!

SBz.

Comment

I watched some of it, but after a while I found the outdated presentation began to grate.
                            I know what you mean. All that in depth musicological discussion without the interruption of inane, gimmicky camerawork and gibbering presenters does require effort from the viewer.

Comment

If you sign up for 'All Four', I believe: catchup for all the various Ch4 stations.
                              Found these on our Roku box. I think these should generally be available - but you may have to look hard depending on how you watch. Could be watching using a computer.

Picture and sound quality is not great - a lot of image noise in the video, and sometimes the piano sounds like it was recorded on tape with wow - perhaps tape stretch.

The video style is odd too, with very close up side views of DB's face, interspersed with some views of his hands moving over the keys - but surely too close

Despite the technical issues these look worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X