Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Lane or what....!

"Back when rock music was deemed antisocial, and even traditional jazz bands were frowned upon, it cost just fourpence to gain entry to a place where the young were free to dance, drink and kiss. The Rolling Stones, a teenage David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, the Who and Pink Floyd all first found regular audiences in this hidden haven.
    John Mayall: 'I managed to pick out some pretty special people'

The venue was Eel Pie Island: a tiny enclave in the middle of the river Thames at Twickenham,

Oh, yes, I certainly do remember this!

Perhaps sadly I never went there, though I had the opportunity, and roughly about the right time period too. I'm not sure I'd have liked the experience, but I do think it might have been an experience. I lived close by one summer, and used to go to venues in Richmond and Twickenham.

Comment

The venue was Eel Pie Island: a tiny enclave in the middle of the river Thames at Twickenham
      It's also where Trevor Bayliss is said to have invented the wind up radio. While some of the 'alternative' nature of Eel Pie Island is still visible, the 'shanty town' aspects have been somewhat tidied up, with many of the shacks now being desirable residences.

Comment

I also recall the appeal that Eel Pie Island had in the sixties, not unlike the appeal of the Cafe des Artistes at Earls Court.
        Nowadays, Thames islands are highly des. res. but at one time AC cars manufactured armaments on a nearby island - Tagg's - and later 3 wheeled invalid cars and apparently the Southend Pier trains! Not much manufacturing in those parts these days.

Comment

There was a lot of manufacturing in that area between and during the wars and maybe afterwards for a while. Aircraft such as the Sopwith camel were made nearby. The factories have, I believe, long gone.

Comment

Working...
          X