Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Then clearly you haven't been watching his show on Sunday mornings: Andrew Marr - who was likeable and slightly tongue-in-cheek when he made his elsewhere oft-repeated British history series - underwent a conversion on the road to BBC "impartiality" to host this prime time show some years ago, and has been sticking to it since.

I've always held ex-lefties to be worse turncoats than ex-smokers!
    No I never watch that show. I liked his British History series, but wouldn't ever have thought of him as a lefty. Anyway he was the only name that came to mind as I posted above.... There must be some young blood historians around who'd love to get themselves a tv show. Lucy W is a bit too nice (and too interested in frocks ) to do a good hatchet job on the war cabinet and the Ministry of (dis)Information. She raised the issues in this programme, but she, er, kept the gloves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      . . . I've always held ex-lefties to be worse turncoats than ex-smokers!
      Also my experience. One particularly prominent example was recently ennobled. There again, I never trusted her claims to a 'left' outlook in what little interaction I had with her in that period. Worse are those that shift their political stance rightwards while insisting they remain true to their previous world outlook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Also my experience. One particularly prominent example was recently ennobled. There again, I never trusted her claims to a 'left' outlook in what little interaction I had with her in that period. Worse are those that shift their political stance rightwards while insisting they remain true to their previous world outlook.
        They would have to square up with their own consciences, though this would also depend to a great extent on how firmly founded their principles were in the first place, one supposes. Amassing enough inputs to source a theoretical bedrock sufficient to weather the vicissitudes of experience, let alone evidence, seems to be a lifetime occupation!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Also my experience. One particularly prominent example was recently ennobled. There again, I never trusted her claims to a 'left' outlook in what little interaction I had with her in that period..
          ... Claire Fox? ( 'Baroness' Fox of Buckley.. )

But she was always difficult to place, no??

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I was thinking Harriet Harman - but I now see she is still a mere Right Hon.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

When a firebrand in the Revolutionary Communist Party? O.k., some of us were not impressed with her 'leftist' stance, but she was principally seen as very much on the far extreme of the left at that time. 'Deathly Pseudo-Marxism' was also supposedly of the left.

Comment

Working...
              X