No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Antony Sher (1949 - 2021)

A very sad loss indeed (to cancer).

I went to his Richard III at Stratford, and was so gripped that I went back twice, once there and once at the Barbican.

With his crutches and floor-length sleeves to assist, his astonishing physical performance embodied the “bottled spider” of the text

RIP
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I went to his Richard III at Stratford, and was so gripped that I went back twice, once there and once at the Barbican.

With his crutches and floor-length sleeves to assist, his astonishing physical performance embodied the “bottled spider” of the text

RIP
    Possibly the greatest post -war Richard 3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

RIP
      I too saw Richard III at the Barbican. It remains one of the most extraordinary performances I have seen, and can still see him in my mind’s eye scuttling around the stage with intimidating speed.

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        Possibly the greatest post -war Richard 3 ?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Comment

Working...
        X