Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dante - words and music

Lovely program on the third right now. Also, their available programs look good, especially one on Napoleon. I need to spend more time with radio 3. I drifted away and have drifted back.
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Haven't we all? I was an avid Radio 3 listener from its beginning in 1967, but drifted away when the dumbing-down started under Roger Wright, though he was mild compared with what's happened since.

Nowadays I catch half and hour of 'Through the Night' while having breakfast, but otherwise I look at the Guide and tune in only when there's a performance I want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
      Lovely program on the third right now. Also, their available programs look good, especially one on Napoleon. I need to spend more time with radio 3. I drifted away and have drifted back.
      I thought it excellent but I’m not sure how convinced I was by the readings in Italian - they sounded a tiny like the Lorenzo d’Oliviero as played by Pietro Cellari….in his immortal version of Una Notte Di Giorno Duro.

Comment

I hope everyone got your references there, Heldenleben!

I wonder if Italians are as intolerant of bad accent as the English are. On the rare occasions I've spoken to someone who is echt deutsch I've winced before risking 'Die' 'der' or 'das' in case I get it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          I hope everyone got your references there, Heldenleben!

I wonder if Italians are as intolerant of bad accent as the English are. On the rare occasions I've spoken to someone who is echt deutsch I've winced before risking 'Die' 'der' or 'das' in case I get it wrong.
          I thought the reader’s accent impeccable I just he thought he was a tiny bit hammy. But I don’t know how Italian Poetry should be read. For some reason Dante’s voice always sounds in my head a bit stern…
          The Peter Sellers parody of Larry Olivier reading the lyrics of A Hard Day’s Night in the manner of the St Crispin Day’s speech is almost an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            I thought the reader’s accent impeccable I just he thought he was a tiny bit hammy. But I don’t know how Italian Poetry should be read. For some reason Dante’s voice always sounds in my head a bit stern…
            The Peter Sellers parody of Larry Olivier reading the lyrics of A Hard Day’s Night in the manner of the St Crispin Day’s speech is almost an understatement.
            The recording of Berio's Laborintus II, with the composer's literal lapping up of Dante's lines gushing from the speakers, gives me a good idea of how it can be done!

Comment

Pretty Beatrice married a banker.
              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Just listened again to the Stokowski recording of Francesca da Rimini. Wow! remains the only possible response despite the passing of many years since its release.

Comment

Working...
                X