Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative writing

I wrote a little bedtime story for my four year old today, have been on a few creative writing courses. Anyone else here a scribbler ?
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

For about a couple of years I became somewhat preoccupied (I wouldn't say 'obsessed') with writing sonnets, many of which I posted here on the poetry thread. Oddly enough it coincided with experiencing oculogyric crises, and when that was mostly taken care of, I lost interest (for the better, methinks!)

Comment

Oculogyric crisis (OGC) describes the clinical phenomenon of sustained dystonic, conjugate and typically upward deviation of the eyes lasting from seconds to hours. It was initially observed in patients with postencephalitic parkinsonism, but since then a number of conditions have been associated wi …

For those like me for whom this is a new term.

Comment

Like many people , I imagine, I have an unfinished novel.

Professional novelists, I suppose, would smile at the way so many people think a good idea is a basis for a finished novel, then run out of ideas and realise there's no structure to the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Like many people , I imagine, I have an unfinished novel.

Professional novelists, I suppose, would smile at the way so many people think a good idea is a basis for a finished novel, then run out of ideas and realise there's no structure to the thing.
          I once had ideas for stories to be based on what people and daily life would be like if we got rid of capitalism and lived sustainably. Unfortunately my lack of imagination meant the ideas just dried up!

Comment

I wrote a sci-fi novel during lock down. It's currently with my editor and I hope to publish around the start of March (coinciding with my birthday). It's entitled "The Ventos Conspiracy" and is about 110000 words long. I've already started the sequel...
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
              I wrote a sci-fi novel during lock down. It's currently with my editor and I hope to publish around the start of March (coinciding with my birthday). It's entitled "The Ventos Conspiracy" and is about 110000 words long. I've already started the sequel...
              I wrote a novel, but it wasn't 'marketable'. And nor was I
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Self -publishing on a Website, e.g. Wordpress?

Of course, being Internet-savvy is desirable.

Comment

Wow well done !

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I wrote a novel, but it wasn't 'marketable'. And nor was I
                    Hi FF, you could always self publish via Lulu or similar online company (that's what I'm doing). The only reason I have a proper editor is that she's an old friend and is doing it as a favour!
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                      Wow well done !
                      Thanks, if it sells well enough, I'm going to buy myself a new laptop as I ruined the old one writing the book!
                      Best regards,
                      Jonathan

Comment

Hi FF, you could always self publish via Lulu or similar online company (that's what I'm doing). The only reason I have a proper editor is that she's an old friend and is doing it as a favour!
                        The hope was always to write something 'valuable', that would be enjoyed and appreciated as a piece of 'literature'. If it wasn't that, I didn't want it published at all.

I had a Christmas card from a friend this year with a link to his volume of short stories which he'd self-published. I shall buy a copy (£10 ) but I felt a bit of a pang ...since short stories were what interested me. The most 'memorable' reply was when I submitted one to a magazine. They sent back my covering letter to them with the word single word "NO" scribbled on it. That was the point at which I gave up.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Nice to know some other scribblers here, I recently heard a radio 3 program about short story writers.

Claire Harman, Kirsty Gunn, Laurence Scott and Shahidha Bari discuss short story writing.

Insecurity, sexuality and bliss are amongst the topics explored in the short stories of Katherine Mansfield (14 October 1888 – 9 January 1923). Having left a New Zealand suburb she came to England aged 19 and made friends with the Bloomsbury set, meeting writers like Virginia Woolf and DH Lawrence. A new biography by Claire Harman uses ten stories to tell the story of Mansfield's life and writing. One of her admirers was the Canadian author Mavis Gallant (11 August 1922 – 18 February 2014) who spent much of her writing life in France. Laurence Scott and Kirsty Gunn join Claire Harman and Shahidha Bari to explore what these authors have to tell us about the art of short story writing.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            The hope was always to write something 'valuable', that would be enjoyed and appreciated as a piece of 'literature'. If it wasn't that, I didn't want it published at all.

I had a Christmas card from a friend this year with a link to his volume of short stories which he'd self-published. I shall buy a copy (£10 ) but I felt a bit of a pang ...since short stories were what interested me. The most 'memorable' reply was when I submitted one to a magazine. They sent back my covering letter to them with the word single word "NO" scribbled on it. That was the point at which I gave up.
                            That's horrible FF - how to destroy your faith in your writing and confidence in one word. It's a real shame that it made you give up.

My book may be rubbish and I doubt I'll make anything from it but I got swept up in writing it during the pandemic. I suppose I have to partially blame my old university friend who has self published 2 books (of a trilogy) so far. I read the first one and thought it was absolutely superb so recently bought the 2nd one that was published last month. It may be a few years before book 3 appears though! For those that like fantasy novels, his name is Carl McGarrigle and his books are called "The Talents" - they are set on a fantasy world called Pandos and, (I'm not just saying this because I'm mentioned in the acknowledgements in the back of book 1 and occur as a character in book 2), they really are extremely good.

I do know someone who used to be an editor and his comments about amateur writers really made me rather annoyed and made me want to tell him where he could stick his opinions! After all, everyone has to start somewhere.
                            Best regards,
                            Jonathan

Comment

That's horrible FF - how to destroy your faith in your writing and confidence in one word. It's a real shame that it made you give up.
                              It actually made me laugh! But if publishers and agents were looking for something different from what I was writing, I wasn't willing to write the kind of thing they wanted. They wanted something more upbeat with happy endings, but that isn't what real life is like: that's just escapism. Life is about failure and disappointment as well as success but apparently people don't want to read that kind of thing (Should have been writing opera librettos, perhaps )

Comment

Working...
                              X