• Show
Clear All

Films which should have won Best Picture Oscar but (mostly) didn't

An entertaining pre-Oscars item from the Washington Post

Thanks for link. Many striking aberrations: Eg
    Kramer v Kramer beats Apocalypse Now.
    Forrest Gump preferred to Pulp Fiction

We've seen three current nominations at our multiplex:

Banshees. All Quiet. Living. All good in very different ways. If arm-twisted I might even go for Living, even though not up for Best Picture. We loved Bill Nighty in the main role.
    Last edited by gurnemanz; 12-03-23, 15:20. Reason: Nighy!

Comment

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post
      An entertaining pre-Oscars item from the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...b-global-en-GB
      WP content can't be read unless you have a WP account

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        WP content can't be read unless you have a WP account
        I somehow managed to read it OK without an account.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          No problem reading it here without registering, either.

Comment

I expect Radio 3 listeners, used to debate about quality in art, will notice the words 'best' and 'wrong' used here as if they are facts rather than opinions. I tend not to be interested in the sort of film that gets voted 'best' (Annie Hall an exception) and I wouldn't expect to see any of my favourite films among any award ceremony. I wonder if 'cinema' is a more diverse art form than 'classical music', where, I suspect, there are simpler and more widely-accepted criteria of quality .

Comment

The main thing I took from that article was the poor quality of all the nominated films in several years and that quite a few of the WP’s chosen alternatives for best film were no better than the Academy’s choice in the given year.

There also seemed a clear preference for sentimental films throughout the period rather than more interesting and challenging films, as exemplified by the Oscars for Kramer v Kramer rather than Apocalypse Now and Ordinary People rather than Raging Bull.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Ditto. (A certain number of ‘free’ reads before the pay shutters clatter down?)

Entertaining article/game - thanks for the reference.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I thought this excellent and, I think, timely programme on the Powell and Pressburger creative partnership
                  on Radio 4 yesterday might tag along appropriately in this particular thread. Well worth a listen.

English gentleman from the shires teams up with emigré Hungarian-Jewish refugee to create a gently hard-hitting string of films, beginning in 1943 with The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, containing the ever-salient line "Not all Germans are Nazis".

Comment

Working...
                  X