Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taste: new 4-parter on Radio 4

The series kicked off this morning with what I thought was a good programme on musical taste, one which connected with a number of issues under discussion on the forum:

13 June - Radio 4
    11.30am - 1/4 The Self

Zakia Sewell investigates what a person's music taste reveals about them

The only thing that concerns me is having such a debate on Radio 4, where one might question how well clued up on the issues Radio 4 audiences might be? The irony that such a programme is now to be sought on Radio 4 might be seen in relation to the decreasing proportion of space for discussions such as this on Radio 3.

Possibly, but there has always been a classical music presence, however skeletal at times, on Radio4. There's 'soul music' and another series 'the story behind the score' or some such title. Radio 4 has always had a brief to widen listeners' horizons. In this light I've found it regrettable that some R4 presenters (Jane Garvey springs to mind) have displayed a sort of sneering or dismissive attitude to classical music (examples can be found).

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Possibly, but there has always been a classical music presence, however skeletal at times, on Radio4. There's 'soul music' and another series 'the story behind the score' or some such title. Radio 4 has always had a brief to widen listeners' horizons. In this light I've found it regrettable that some R4 presenters (Jane Garvey springs to mind) have displayed a sort of sneering or dismissive attitude to classical music (examples can be found).
      Not forgetting https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/makingofmusic/

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The series kicked off this morning with what I thought was a good programme on musical taste, one which connected with a number of issues under discussion on the forum:

13 June - Radio 4
        11.30am - 1/4 The Self

Zakia Sewell investigates what a person's music taste reveals about them

The only thing that concerns me is having such a debate on Radio 4, where one might question how well clued up on the issues Radio 4 audiences might be? The irony that such a programme is now to be sought on Radio 4 might be seen in relation to the decreasing proportion of space for discussions such as this on Radio 3.
        Thanks S_A for that. I thought I would give the Taste programme a go, but I can't do so UNLESS I SIGN IN. This must be why BBC has been pestering me with ads to sign in for 'a better BBC'. They did not say it was compulsory and I have not checked whether this new regulation applies across the board for Listen Again programmes. I have not had a problem with this until now. What is going on? I pay my re-imposed fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          Thanks S_A for that. I thought I would give the Taste programme a go, but I can't do so UNLESS I SIGN IN. This must be why BBC has been pestering me with ads to sign in for 'a better BBC'. They did not say it was compulsory and I have not checked whether this new regulation applies across the board for Listen Again programmes. I have not had a problem with this until now. What is going on? I pay my re-imposed fees.
          I think I'm permanently signed in as I don't pay anything for it I can certainly get it just from clicking on the link.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I think I'm permanently signed in as I don't pay anything for it I can certainly get it just from clicking on the link.
            Same in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Same in my case.
              Likewise.

Comment

Working...
              X