• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But it seems Jurassic Park is fanciful:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...ic-park-dream/

Comment

... hmmm amazing what starts with a fancy
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        But it seems Jurassic Park is fanciful:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...ic-park-dream/
        Rather a relief, frankly

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Rather a relief, frankly
          Anything for an untroubled night, Ams.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            a curious correlation between the health of trees and the health of humans
            We are one with nature - ever notice how much nicer strangers are when out on a walk in the local park or woodland? - Buddhists have recognised this for centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Anything for an untroubled night, Ams.
              I had enough trouble with the thought of six-feet tall velociraptors (CGIs or not) chasing me round and round a laboratory, thanks Pabs without finding out it might actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                We are one with nature - .
                .. hmmm. No.

If "nature" means anything (and personally I think the way the word is used is such that it means almost everything and therefore nothing... ) then "nature" means "things as they were / might be WITHOUT human involvement".

If we ("humans") are "one with nature", then the word "nature" has no meaning. At all....

Comment

from the link quoted above:

"The culprit, the emerald ash borer, had arrived from overseas, and it rapidly spread -- a literal bug -- "

Oh no it's not. It's a beetle, not a bug (i.e. not one of the hemiptera).

from the link quoted above.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    .. hmmm. No.

If "nature" means anything (and personally I think the way the word is used is such that it means almost everything and therefore nothing... ) then "nature" means "things as they were / might be WITHOUT human involvement".

If we ("humans") are "one with nature", then the word "nature" has no meaning. At all....
                    Yes of course - nature only has meaning if considered as a separate category.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      ...It's a beetle, not a bug...
                      Isn't bug just a general word for various organisms?

In the US it seems to be applied mostly to insects - here, we use it most for viruses and bacteria. And electronic devices of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Isn't bug just a general word for various organisms? ...
                        No it's not, and those who study and work with bugs can get very uptight about the term being misused. I raised the point since the writer used the phrase "literal bug", which, in the context, is decidedly misleading.

Comment

.... and there this little bug lay hiden on the thread for months ....
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

"You're Beppo, the famous flea-trainer, aren't you?"
                            "Yes, that's right"
                            "What are you doing landed up in this place, then?"
                            "Oh they think I'm crazy".
                            "How come?"
                            "Oh I dunno... but let me show you something"

He feels into his right trouser pocket, and produces a matchbox, which he opens.
                            Inside is a flea, which he take out and places on the back of his hand.

"Now, watch what happens", he says.
                            "Jump onto my shoulder", he orders the flea.
                            The flea jumps onto his shoulder.
                            He puts the flea back onto the back of his hand again,
                            and orders it to jump onto his shoulder... which it does.

"Amazing!"
                            "Yes, but now watch this".

He takes a pair of nail scissors from his jacket pocket,
                            and proceeds to cut all the fleas' legs off.
                            He once again tells the flea to jump onto his shoulder,
                            which it can't of course do.

"Jump onto my shoulder!"
                            "Jump onto my shoulder!", he shouts.
                            "There, see?" he explains to his visitor,
                            "you cut off their legs and they go deaf".

Comment

which was known and observed in the west not later than 1825, as the results of research and observations of this kind were published in Brussels:
                              Moreau de Jonnès, M.A., Première Mèmoire en la réponse à la Question ... Quels sont les changements qui peut occasioner le déboisement....?Bruxelles, 1825.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                I had enough trouble with the thought of six-feet tall velociraptors (CGIs or not) chasing me round and round a laboratory, thanks Pabs without finding out it might actually happen.
                                This blog is even better. Velociraptors were feathered and about the size of a turkey; and T. Rex could run about as fast as David Beckham.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress....rk-is-fiction/

Comment

Working...
                                X