• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    several selections here especially this

and this is an extraordinary archive

not childhood i know but shortly before and some extraordinary pictures
    Great stuff Calum! Shall enjoy perusing this weekend!

Done - fascinating and heartbreaking in equal measure.....
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 25-05-13, 22:21.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Cross-referencing, I do commend this programme from BBC4's Friday evening line-up

for anyone who's into archive footage... post-war Soho, the Blue Boar on the M1 etc etc...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm posting here because the photographs of Roger Mayne have been mentioned previously and he has recently died, aged 85. This is a link to a gallery displaying his prints of childhood and streets if anyone would like a wander down memory lane ......

Comment

many thanks for that link to very striking photography Anna
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I'm posting here because the photographs of Roger Mayne have been mentioned previously and he has recently died, aged 85. This is a link to a gallery displaying his prints of childhood and streets if anyone would like a wander down memory lane ......
            http://gittermangallery.com/html/exh...me=Roger+Mayne
            Thanks from me too, Anna. Those shots really bring back the area and the era for the likes of me and Calum, who were youngsters at the time. And the grimness! I cycled all around that district at the time the TV series "The Secret Streets of London" was showing, and in some ways was glad that many of those roads have since disappeared or been incorporated into newer housing schemes, and in some ways sad. From the point of view of the general public they were probably featured for the last time ever in the 1970 Richard Attenborough film about the murderer Christie, "10 Rillington Place", one of the most uncomfortable movies I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing (while admiring Attenborough's astlonishing bravery in taking on the Christie role), though the area was also featured in earlier atmospheric era-reviving B&W films such as "The Blue Lamp" and (oddly enough!) "The Lavender Hill Mob". But NOT of course Notting Hill!!!. The whole district still feels very much enclosed by the Outer Circle Line, running between Hammersmith and Paddington - which back then was a branch of the Metropolitan Line - even before the M40/Westway extensions and flyovers went up in the 1960s; pass by what had been Rillington Place - renaming it Rustyn Close after the murders were discovered didn't save it from the bulldozers - along St Mark's Road and under the railway and motorway bridges respectively, and all of a sudden you're in the world of semi-detached suburbia, less than a stone's throw at one time.

Comment

Very early film footage of London, with some clever then-and-now side-by-side juxtapositions:

This is the oldest footage of London ever. Includes amazing old footage combined with modern shots of the same location today. Also features maps carefully r...

Comment

Working...
              X