Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV detectives

I notice that a number of contributors to the Forum share my enthusiasm for BBC 4's imported detective thrillers.
    A recent message on another thread about the two-part 'Bergmann' led me to wonder how many of us have fixed ideas as to the definitive portrayals on TV of fictional detectives.
    To kick things off, may I offer:
    Much as I admire Sir Michael Gambon, for me it has to be Rupert Davies as Maigret
    David Suchet as Poirot
    Jeremy Brett as Holmes

Ah but where do you stand on ... Miss Marple?

Nice thread, Northender

Comment

I've seen very little of the lady in question, but I believe that Geraldine McEwan's portrayal arouses strong feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
        I've seen very little of the lady in question, but I believe that Geraldine McEwan's portrayal arouses strong feelings.

Indeed, negative ones

It has to be Joan Hickson as Miss Marple, pace Ammy's avatar who is hugely watchable in the role but for nostalgic comedy value (not to be under-valued!)
        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 03-06-12, 10:22.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

John Thaw's Morse, of course.

Comment

Much as I admire Sir Michael Gambon, for me it has to be Rupert Davies as Maigret
            For some reason, I've never taken to either. Ought to (see the vehicle depicted on my profile!) but I think the productions of both were very wooden, uninspiring.

There is room I think for someone to come in and produce a stunning new Maigret which will sweep the board. Question: who would you cast from actors working now?

David Suchet as Poirot
            Never been able to watch it - subtly wrong, somehow, for me... the supposed Franglicisms are phoney, I get that he plays it to some extent for comedy, but there's something unauthentic which annoys me.

Jeremy Brett as Holmes
            Absolutely stunning and mesmerising

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
              Endlessly watchable even if some of the programmes were a bit creaky.... The Magic Flute one with creepy Ian McDiarmid is fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                Absolutely - although I was thinking more of roles played by more than one actor - has anybody else portrayed Morse on TV?

Comment

Apparently George Baker played Inspector Alleyn in a series made in New Zealand, but I don't know whether he would be a match for Patrick Malahide's later series.
                  I don't know how many people have played Inspector Lestrade, but I think Colin Jeavons made a good job of being left trailing (and flailing) in Holmes's wake.
                  Lord Peter Wimsey has been played by Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge, and Adam Dalgliesh by Roy Marsden and Martin Shaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Endlessly watchable even if some of the programmes were a bit creaky.... The Magic Flute one with creepy Ian McDiarmid is fantastic!
                    Ultimately I found Morse to be unbelievably two-dimensional - he didn't seem to learn anything at all about himself - whereas Jack Frost (David Jason) developed as a character.

Comment

Absolutely - although I was thinking more of roles played by more than one actor - has anybody else portrayed Morse on TV?
                      Shaun Evans as the young Morse - but that does not really count, perhaps.
                      If Morse was one-dimensional, as suggested by Am51, is that the fault of Thaw or Dexter (or someone else, like a director)?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Ultimately I found Morse to be unbelievably two-dimensional - he didn't seem to learn anything at all about himself - whereas Jack Frost (David Jason) developed as a character.
                        I'm not sure I agree. Episodes such as 'The Way Through The Woods' (which I believe John Thaw produced, or directed) definitley reveal a degree of self-realization, albeit very grudging.
                        Where do you stand (to coin a phrase ) on Lewis? I found him much more interesting when he was a DS.
                        I'm looking forward to seeing how the young Morse develops when 'Endeavour' returns.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree. Episodes such as 'The Way Through The Woods' (which I believe John Thaw produced, or directed) definitley reveal a degree of self-realization, albeit very grudging.
                          Where do you stand (to coin a phrase ) on Lewis? I found him much more interesting when he was a DS.
                          I'm looking forward to seeing how the young Morse develops when 'Endeavour' returns.
                          Lewis in the television series (of Morse and Lewis) is not the original Lewis from the novels, though I imagine Dexter sanctioned the change.

Comment

North of the Border, Rebus has been played by John Hannah and Ken Scott.

Comment

North of the Border, Rebus has been played by John Hannah and Ken Scott.
                              And Taggart hasn't had Taggart in it for aaaages - wonderful series though imho

Comment

Working...
                              X