X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

BBC Four London collection

I've just stumbled across this collection of London-themed films dating from the 50's which might interest Londonites and others

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

EDIT - oops - perhaps this has already been mentioned on another thread
    Last edited by mercia; 07-06-12, 17:47.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    I've just stumbled across this collection of London-themed films dating from the 50's which might interest Londonites and others

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

No, it's all right Mercia; thanks v much for posting that link.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

If it has, I hadn't spotted it - and am very grateful mercia ! What treasure trove! Of particular interest: 'A House in Bayswater'... my manor. Fascinating, the first couple of minutes on returning home.

Cheers!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

approx. 13 minutes into the Betjeman film the camera picks out a greengrocers advertising "Nigger Yams"

EDIT - I guess the current crop of programmes about London are all by way of an Olympic build-up
        Last edited by mercia; 07-06-12, 20:46.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

approx. 13 minutes into the Betjeman film the camera picks out a greengrocers advertising "Nigger Yams"
          The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there....
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

don't know if there's something wrong with my computer but the "To the world's end" film seems to have lost its sound

Comment

• Anna

don't know if there's something wrong with my computer but the "To the world's end" film seems to have lost its sound
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...don_Bus_Route/
              Not your computer mercia, there is no soundtrack on mine either. You should report it if it doesn't reappear. And, I meant to say, thanks for posting link to the Series, if this bad weather continues over weekend it'll provide some hours of light relief from endless footie!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...don_Bus_Route/
                I noticed this problem with this and another of the films, the one about young women from the provinces living in London made in 1956, and thought I mentioned it on this thread. Either I did and some of the posts have been transferred to the other thread of similar theme, or I made a mistake. The one with Kenneth Williams from 1975 is particularly good - much of the second half being taken up with a museum of pianos, an amazing place which must be well worth a visit, if still in existence.

Great find, mercia!

Comment

• Pegleg
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Not your computer mercia, there is no soundtrack on mine either. You should report it if it doesn't reappear. And, I meant to say, thanks for posting link to the Series, if this bad weather continues over weekend it'll provide some hours of light relief from endless footie!!
                  That's not the only glitch in the collection. I tried to watch this last night: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...urrow_Reports/

It's supposed to be a 23min programme but cuts out after around 10mins. It's really annoying and they have made it is so hard to find where to leave a complaint.

Comment

Working...
                  X