Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Someone has kindly put the Reverdy Road episode of the Secret Streets of London series on youtube, with possibly more to follow:

Reverdy RoadCheck out http://bermondseyboy.netEverything about Bermondsey, Video's, Photo's and very helpful Members.

Good to watch again, even though the visual quality leaves something to be desired.

I also took the chance to watch the following 40 minute documentary on the Portobello Road market, from 2011. Excellent contributions in particular from the woman with the pink-handled umbrella, and the antiques dealer. I am prompted to get over there quick this summer, before the whole street is taken over by chain outlets - assuming this hasn't already happened.

Portobello FULL DocumentaryThis film delves into the heart and soul of Portobello Market, West London. It is one of the most famous street markets in the wor...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Hello again!

Just to alert people that the original London-based series is being re-broadcast, starting tonight (Tuesday 21 April) on BBC4 at 8 pm, with the episode based around Deptford High Street.

All I can say is, hooray for the return of a programme that delighted quite a few on here, provoking comment and reminiscence when first shown, and will give us an hour's rest per week from the Forthcoming Political Event That Dare Not Speak Its Name on this forum.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I have found this website to be a wonderful source of details on a number of London districts:

For anyone more generally interested in the UK as a whole:

is the homepage.

Take the Slow TV route - wallow at leisure!

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Hello again!

Just to alert people that the original London-based series is being re-broadcast, starting tonight (Tuesday 21 April) on BBC4 at 8 pm, with the episode based around Deptford High Street.

All I can say is, hooray for the return of a programme that delighted quite a few on here, provoking comment and reminiscence when first shown, and will give us an hour's rest per week from the Forthcoming Political Event That Dare Not Speak Its Name on this forum.
          Thank you SA for drawing this to our attention.

Does anyone have any idea why the 2nd programme does not seem to be available in HD, while the first was?

Comment

• David-G
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            Does anyone have any idea why the 2nd programme does not seem to be available in HD, while the first was?
            No answer to this question? Only the first programme seems to be in HD. I find it very strange.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Sorry, David - no idea, I'm afraid.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

The initial 6-parter of this much-loved series, London-based, is repeated tonight (Tues 8th November) at 10 pm on BBC 4, and again at 1 am tomorrow: Deptford High Street.

A book accompanying the series can be sent off for:

(Not a direct transcript of the programmes, but recommended)

Comment

Working...
                X