• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Best TV of 2012

..no doubt for me The Bridge
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

My problem with these questions is that, at my age, I ca'n't remember what happened in 2012 as opposed to 2011 - 2010 - 1995 - 1964

BUT - recent things which I thought were well good -

Jonathan Meades on France

Sherlock

Parade's End

the first series of Homeland

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

i had to check it was 2012!
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I didn't watch a lot of television in 2012 but support the nomination of "Jonathan Meades on France". I would also put forward John Bridcut's "Delius: Composer, Lover, Enigma" and the Jubilee Regatta. Yes, you did read that correctly. Obviously the television coverage of the latter was abysmal and the weather didn't help but the artistic concept was substantial, daring, beautiful, apt and radically non-commercial. It deserved better and I would very much like to see something similar attempted in the near future.

Comment

• gingerjon
          • Sep 2011

Sherlock just about crept into 2012, didn't it? So that'll do for me as this year's 'best'.

I didn't expect to find myself so emotional (in a good way) just from the Olympics opening ceremony though. Credit must go to the TV production for being able to convey subtleties and emotions within even the biggest stadium production.
          The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Yes, The Bridge would probably be my own overall choice, too.

But I'd also like to put in a word or several in praise of the various series of Merlin that came to an end this year: I've loved the way the writers have taken the Arthur legends and given them their own, totally valid and highly original "spin". The performances have all been excellent and the scripts have covered the entire emotional spectrum with equal success. This is easily a set of series that today's kids will be able point to in future years as the equal of anything that was broadcast in the past.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Sherlock on the BBC.

And Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Anna

Overall it's The Bridge, followed by the Olympics, I agree about Merlin (which I came to late) but I think 2012 has to be up there in the top ten (did anyone see Hugh Bonneville in Mr. Stink at Christmas?)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  (did anyone see Hugh Bonneville in Mr. Stink at Christmas?)
                  Yes; lovely!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

These would come high for me: Killing / Bridge / Ianucci Olympics build up series - Hugh Bonneville brilliant. And actually, on a gentle but brilliantly acted level, the R4 Afternoon Drama 'McLevy' series with the wonderful chemistry between Brian Cox [ the actor!] and Siobhan Redmond. Oh, yes, and In Our Time. Not telly.... sorry!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

...Sherlock and Merlin were hits in this household as well ...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Just the football for me.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Just the football for me.

You need to expand your horizons.....
                          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X