Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone seen ‘The Bookshop’?
    Watched it last night and enjoyed the slow moving story and the performances of Bill Nighy and Emily Mortimer... and the Northern Ireland scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
      Has anyone seen ‘The Bookshop’?
      Watched it last night and enjoyed the slow moving story and the performances of Bill Nighy and Emily Mortimer... and the Northern Ireland scenery.
      I saw it at the cinema back in the summer, Dr T.

Realised later it was Northern Ireland that it was filmed.

Memorable wee film. I would watch it again.

Comment

Also coming up on Talking Pictures at 7.10 this evening:
        'The Card', screenplay by Eric Ambler and featuring, amongst others, Petula Clark!

Comment

A strange film for its time on London Live at 13:00 today, The Gentle Gunman. I.R.A. volunteers shown in a surprisingly rounded light. That said, I did only catch the last 20 minutes or so when it was shown earlier in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Also coming up on Talking Pictures at 7.10 this evening:
            'The Card', screenplay by Eric Ambler and featuring, amongst others, Petula Clark!
            Sunday 7:10 pm,don’t know the film but I’ve heard Alwyn’s music for it.
            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
              Sunday 7:10 pm,don’t know the film but I’ve heard Alwyn’s music for it.
              Apologies, it IS tonight (Sunday). I'm afraid I seem to be developing ARDOTWC (Age-Related Day Of The Week Confusion) !
              Also available advert-free on You Tube - look for Errol Wilcox's upload.
              Last edited by LMcD; 10-02-19, 08:04.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Apologies, it IS tonight (Sunday). I'm afraid I seem to be developing ARDOTWC (Age-Related Day Of The Week Confusion) !
                Also available advert-free on You Tube - look for Errol Wilcox's upload.
                I call it Retirement-Related Day of the Week Confusion!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I call it Retirement-Related Day of the Week Confusion!
                  Wonderful, isn't it

Will record The Card. Am half-way through Malta Story. Ch 81 is a feast for Alwyn-lovers
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

More Talking Pictures news.

The Loves of Joanna Godden, Weds 2:35 pm
                    Marvellous RVW score (think Symphonies 5 to 7)
                    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I probably go a little more often than you - maybe 6 times a year...
                      Are those the six free tickets from the bank? I'm struggling to use them all this year! I went to see "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" which I thought was quite good, it was well directed and witty, with a good performance from the lead Melissa McCarthy. Some great shots of Manhattan, and the bars and bookshops.
                      Last edited by Mal; 11-02-19, 13:08.

Comment

Just started a Netflix free month, mainly to watch, "the Big Lebowski"; typical sharp, amusing dialogue from the Coen Brothers, and great performances from Goodman and Bridges. Surprisingly stunning visuals: strange dream sequences when the baddies feed our hero drugs or knock him on the head, superb bowling sequences, and great shots of the California coast. Good (pop) background music. Overall, not very deep, but very amusing and entertaining.

Any other recommendations for Netflix films?

Comment

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                          Are those the six free tickets from the bank? I'm struggling to use them all this year! ...

... we've already used up all our free ones for this financial year.

If you haven't seen Vice or (natch) The Favourite - a good use for your vouchers.

( ... we had several unused vouchers for 2017/18 - most irritating.)

Comment

We have Netflix courtesy of our daughter who loaded her password onto our TV. Last time she was here she pointed us to a new Coen Brothers film The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Episodic, eccentric and very enjoyable. I don't watch Netflix that often (partly because I forget we have it). Definitely worth watching is the award-winning Roma.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                              "the Big Lebowski"

Any other recommendations for Netflix films?

Big Lebowski - one of my all-time favourites, with many usably-quotable lines... "You have no frame of reference, Donny"

If you liked that, try the Coens' new one, recently released on Netflix: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. A portmanteau film, of stories as if from an illustrated book about the West. As you say, not very deep, but amusing and entertaining and beautifully filmed. NB a major role in one of the segments for Tom Waits (I didn't recognise him )

And for black & white grandeur, the recent Cuarón film much lauded at the BAFTAs last night (inc best film): Roma, also on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                We have Netflix courtesy of our daughter who loaded her password onto our TV. Last time she was here she pointed us to a new Coen Brothers film The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Episodic, eccentric and very enjoyable. I don't watch Netflix that often (partly because I forget we have it). Definitely worth watching is the award-winning Roma.
                                ah! Snap!

Comment

Working...
                                X