Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I too found The Leather Boys ahead of its time, but I don't think it had much attention when it was released. Maybe vested interests (Mrs. Grundy et al) suppressed mention of it in the media.

I'm glad you've discovered TPTV and I hope you'll explore further. It's the only TV channel I watch with any frequency, which says much about my view of today's TV programmes!.

Comment

I am not a fan of Kenneth Branagh, in most of his various dramatic incarnations.
      I'm sure he lies awake worrying about my dislike of his work....

Well no need to worry Mr B. We watched his memoir, Belfast, the other night, streaming on Amazon Prime (also available for rent on YouTube). An excellent piece of work - the acting from the boy playing the young KB was very nuanced throughout, the desperation from his mother almost palpable.
      The film brought home the local aspect of The Troubles - reminded of a very good novel on the same subject - The Milkman by Anna Burns (2018).
      As well as the violence there were also a lot of humour and warmth.
      The supporting roles were well played too - sounded like a pretty good fist of the accents; but I'll wait for Padraig to comment I think.

The claustrophobic nature of living under those conditions came across well - and the way the community handled it too.

No spoilers, all I'll say is that I wished my dad had been able to throw as well as that (and sing and dance like that come to think of it....)

Comment

One Life - a very good film. If Oscar fodder is discussed, I’d put this way above Maestro, which some are still fancying for the short list, even though I enjoyed Maestro. I’ve already given my views on why that is too flawed to be a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          One Life - a very good film. If Oscar fodder is discussed, I’d put this way above Maestro, which some are still fancying for the short list, even though I enjoyed Maestro. I’ve already given my views on why that is too flawed to be a contender.
          On Boxing Day we were staying at our daughter's and she suggested going to a mid-day preview of Alexander Payne's new movie The Holdovers at the Ritzy in Brixton, about which she had heard very good reports. A dozen other audience members were in attendance. We really enjoyed it. Fine script, rewarding narrative full of subtle detail and great performances from the three main characters. Working in schools I came come across many a schoolmaster similar to Paul Giamatti's Ancient History teacher at a New England prep school. Plenty to discuss over a pint in the Trinity Arms afterwards. In the evening we watched Maestro on Netflix. Well worth watching but we agreed that we had got more from Holdovers. I'm delighted to see that Giamatti has just won a Golden Globe.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

On Boxing Day we were staying at our daughter's and she suggested going to a mid-day preview of Alexander Payne's new movie The Holdovers at the Ritzy in Brixton, about which she had heard very good reports. A dozen other audience members were in attendance. We really enjoyed it. Fine script, rewarding narrative full of subtle detail and great performances from the three main characters. Working in schools I came come across many a schoolmaster similar to Paul Giamatti's Ancient History teacher at a New England prep school. Plenty to discuss over a pint in the Trinity Arms afterwards. In the evening we watched Maestro on Netflix. Well worth watching but we agreed that we had got more from Holdovers. I'm delighted to see that Giamatti has just won a Golden Globe.
            Thanks for this gurney. I saw the trailer last night and thought it looked very appealing. I will try to get along to see it. I like Paul Giamatti.

'Boy and the Heron' was fully booked in Dundee again last night, so I reckon we'll just have to catch it sometime down the line. We decided to go to 'One Life' instead. Anthony Hopkins was terrific as Nicholas Winton in his seventies with Johnny Flynn playing him in his late twenties. A very enjoyable film though I could have done with a couple of boxes of Kleenex* handy. No cinema pyrotechnics, just a straight telling of a very brave and moving story.

*other brands of tissues are available!

Comment

'The Passion', which is now available on TPTV's catch-up service, is a fine film which I'd never even heard of previously. A 1999 BBC Wales production filmed in Devon, it stars the ever-watchable Gina McKee, and the strong supporting cast includes Paul Nicholls, Roberta Taylor, Peter Wight and Adrian Scarborough..

Comment

I saw a trail for Richard Tauber in 'Blossom Time' coming to Talking Pictures TV this coming Thursday afternoon at three o'clock. Thought some on the forum might be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  I saw a trail for Richard Tauber in 'Blossom Time' coming to Talking Pictures TV this coming Thursday afternoon at three o'clock. Thought some on the forum might be interested.
                  https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/
                  I've finally succumbed to the charms of Netflix's 'standard with ads' for the princely sum of £4.99 a month, and decided that the first thing I would watch would be 'The Dig'. Ralph Fiennes on top form - decent Suffolk accents - those magnificent Suffolk skies - and no adverts! .

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    'The Passion', which is now available on TPTV's catch-up service, is a fine film which I'd never even heard of previously. A 1999 BBC Wales production filmed in Devon, it stars the ever-watchable Gina McKee, and the strong supporting cast includes Paul Nicholls, Roberta Taylor, Peter Wight and Adrian Scarborough..
                    I remember it - it was a three-episode series, I think, rather than a film… Were they all rolled into one?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I remember it - it was a three-episode series, I think, rather than a film… Were they all rolled into one?
                      Looks like it, as the running time was ca. 2.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

When I Google it, the only thing that comes up is that well known Passion. Is that the subject matter?

Comment

Given its high profile in the film award nominations, I had high hopes for Poor Things, but it is a severe disappointment. The design is the best thing about it, best summarised by Gaudi-steampunk. It’s a picaresque conflation of Frankenstein, Candide and Edward Scissorhands that ultimately becomes repetitive and tedious. Although described as a comedy, there were few signs of mirth from the audience at the showing I attended. It covers similar ground to the altogether superior Ex Machina, although that is presented in a contemporary, AI/thriller inspired context, having greater impact, resonance, and concision. It’s a film that should make you think. Poor Things doesn’t, I suspect it is a marmite movie.

But as others have noted, The Holdovers is an unexpected delight. Possibly a future Xmas classic which doesn’t cloy through a careful sprinkling of vinegar. Lovely performances by the three principals.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

When I Google it, the only thing that comes up is that well known Passion. Is that the subject matter?
                            It seems to be available on Prime in the US: plot synopsis here https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Gina-McKee/dp/B09FL5FKNH

And indeed LMcD, it’s presented as a film there too…

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Waititi also made a film I enjoyed very much, ‘Hunt for the Wilderpeople'
                              Great film

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

If you Google ;'The Passion Gina McKee' you should avoid the other films with the same title.

Comment

Working...
                                X