X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Britten: A Time There Was

Sky Arts 2 is showing the award winning 1979 Tony Palmer documentary, "Britten: A Time There Was" tonight at 8pm. The film features contributions from Janet Baker, Sviatoslav Richter, Julian Bream, Imogen Holst and Peter Pears among others.

The film combines biography with excerpts from operas including Death in Venice and Peter Grimes. A special segment shows archival footage of Britten working his magic behind the scenes in rehearsal. Interviews include a moment with Leonard Bernstein, who touches on the genius and the pain of "a man at odds with the world."
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I think that is still one of the best portraits of Britten, and the contributions from Pears are at times very moving. I also enjoy the brief comments of Britten's sisters. Irreplaceable footage. I think it's better than Palmer's more recent film.

Every night at the moment BBC Four is showing a trailer about the centenary coverage (Radio 3 and BBC Four), in particular John Bridcut's new film, Britten's Endgame, which will be shown on November 14th.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Just a heads-up for the BBC4 showing of John Bridcut's film Britten's Endgame tonight at 9 pm.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        Just a heads-up for the BBC4 showing of John Bridcut's film Britten's Endgame tonight at 9 pm.
        Many thanks, aeolium.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
          I think that is still one of the best portraits of Britten, and the contributions from Pears are at times very moving. I also enjoy the brief comments of Britten's sisters. Irreplaceable footage. I think it's better than Palmer's more recent film.
          One thing which has often struck me about this film is the rehearsal sequence of Britten and Richter in Mozart's Sonata for two pianos. Apparently the footage was made without Richter's consent. Palmer approached Richter beforehand; Richter refused to be filmed, but with the connivance of Britten the performance was captured for posterity. This revelation explains why Richter, more than usual, looks like he's chewed on a wasp, and why Britten keeps impishly grinning at the Russian. At the end Richter breaks into a reluctant grin, grimly acknowledging the set up.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

Naughty as it was of Britten, I'm glad he did it, if that story is indeed true. Wonderful footage. It's rather like Culshaw recording Britten's War Requiem rehearsal without his knowledge. - and to his distinct displeasure . I'm glad that exists, too. I don't think any friendships were ruined as a result of either event.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by sir velo View Post
              sky arts 2 is showing the award winning 1979 tony palmer documentary, "britten: A time there was" tonight at 8pm. The film features contributions from janet baker, sviatoslav richter, julian bream, imogen holst and peter pears among others.

The film combines biography with excerpts from operas including death in venice and peter grimes. A special segment shows archival footage of britten working his magic behind the scenes in rehearsal. Interviews include a moment with leonard bernstein, who touches on the genius and the pain of "a man at odds with the world."
              I recall the excitement of hearing Bernstein making this portentous announcement sitting in our South London living room with some friends "Is he going to do it? Is he going to publicly out Ben & Peter ... and maybe even himself??" but no - he was a pacifist, big deal! boo hoo hoo.

The programme more than made up for this anti-climax when Peter told us that 'Ben had died in my arms' and we all filled up and there were a few discreet 'poots' and less discreet cheers.

That Leonora Bernstein, what a wind-up!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                [/color]I recall the excitement of hearing Bernstein making this portentous announcement sitting in our South London living room with some friends "Is he going to do it? Is he going to publicly out Ben & Peter ... and maybe even himself??" but no - he was a pacifist, big deal! boo hoo hoo.

The programme more than made up for this anti-climax when Peter told us that 'Ben had died in my arms' and we all filled up and there were a few discreet 'poots' and less discreet cheers.

That Leonora Bernstein, what a wind-up!

The title of this thread is that of one of Britten's last works, thus far hardly mentioned in the various exchanges on this forum, and imv one of his best.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The title of this thread is that of one of Britten's last works, thus far hardly mentioned in the various exchanges on this forum, and imv one of his best.
                  Britten's setting of Hardy's poem A Time There Was, in Winter Words, is quite heartbreaking, this poem must have been very important for him.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    Britten's setting of Hardy's poem A Time There Was, in Winter Words, is quite heartbreaking, this poem must have been very important for him.
                    The closing programme of the Aldeburgh/Snape weekend finished with Pears singing this song. I thought it was an appropriate and moving choice.

The orchestral work with the same title seems to get very few performances generally.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                      The closing programme of the Aldeburgh/Snape weekend finished with Pears singing this song. I thought it was an appropriate and moving choice.

The orchestral work with the same title seems to get very few performances generally.
                      I heard it at the Barbican a few weeks ago with the Britten Sinfonia conducted by Paul Daniel, and I enjoyed it with the slight reservation that its changes of gear from one movement to another seem a little clumsy, and there's rather too much snare drum! Ian Bostridge was wonderfully histrionic in Our Hunting Fathers.
                      Sometimes he can seem to almost over emphasise the importance of text, but that didn't matter here. It was an extraordinary performance, and he loked exhausted afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X