Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just changing the subject slightly, but does anyone have knowledge of the latest Scandi-drama this Saturday on BBC4 - Sebastian Bergman? I think I saw somewhere that he was a character in Wallender (which I've never seen) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jg0nt

Comment

well no but the lead actor in Bergman is my least favourite Wallander by a whisper because not very fond of Branagh in the role .... there is really only one Wallander

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Just changing the subject slightly, but does anyone have knowledge of the latest Scandi-drama this Saturday on BBC4 - Sebastian Bergman? I think I saw somewhere that he was a character in Wallender (which I've never seen) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jg0nt
        Acc to the Radio Times it's unbelievably bleak and makes The Killing seem like Midsummer Murders...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

June 9th BBC 4 European crime night: a new series of Spiral @ 9.p.m. Two epis on Saturday night.

Comment

I gave Bergman a miss, due to reviews and comments on the MB. I've never seen Spiral, am I correct in that each episode is self-contained (i.e. it doesn't matter if you miss one) and is it gritty and grim rather than jokey (like Inspector Montalbo (sp?) was) Also, what happened to the other Italian detective, Zen?

Comment

what happened to the other Italian detective, Zen?

BBC cancelled it

I thought it was great.

Haven't watched SB, Spiral or Montalbano either (saw 5 mns of the latter & took against it)

Comment

i watched both episodes of Bergman and must be a sucker for punishment ... the lead actor is highly unbelievable as Walleander and as Bergman ... and the script is very old fashioned Sunday afternoon Brit detective .... not at all in the class of The Killing or The Bridge ...and Lewis or Silk does it better
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  ... and the script is very old fashioned Sunday afternoon Brit detective .... not at all in the class of The Killing or The Bridge ...and Lewis or Silk does it better
                  Calum, what do you think of the second series of Silk? I've only seen one episode of Lewis (but then I never watched Morse) and I only caught one episode of Vera as it clashed with that forensic programme (the name of which I completely forget!) which rapidly went downhill and became unwatchable. Edit: Silent Witness.
                  Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Montalbano - saw 5 mns of the latter & took against it
                  Me too, I saw the first episode, and that was it. Midsomer Murders with sunshine!

Comment

Anna i think Silk has its moments ... the arc of interest is across the series rather than the episode [cases and Clive getting laid] ...swmbo rates it very highly ... i think it has some very amusing and unashamed moments of true British viciousness that are starting to give it a vintage flavour [try the episode of this week]

as a long time devotee of the Zen series of novels i was very sad to see that such a faithful reproduction of their humour appeared to be lost on the audience and further episodes are not being commissioned ... i do most earnestly recommend reading them all from start to finish ....

Comment

Me too, I saw the first episode, and that was it. Midsomer Murders with sunshine!
                      Also a grainy, unattractive picture-quality (I do love the visual magnificence of the Scandi-dramas...)... and unappealing characters: annoying & whimsical, it struck me immediately.

Comment

Anna i think Silk has its moments ... the arc of interest is across the series rather than the episode [cases and Clive getting laid] ...swmbo rates it very highly ... i think it has some very amusing and unashamed moments of true British viciousness that are starting to give it a vintage flavour [try the episode of this week]

as a long time devotee of the Zen series of novels i was very sad to see that such a faithful reproduction of their humour appeared to be lost on the audience and further episodes are not being commissioned ... i do most earnestly recommend reading them all from start to finish ....
                        I've stuck with Silk. It's ok. It's a bit simplistic. Clive is such a cartoon ****-head that ... well it's the sort of show I can watch with one eye and attend to the AA thread with the other

They should definitely give Zen another series!

Comment

Coincidentally I picked up a Zen book And then you Die in a charity shop, yet to be read but on Calum's recommendation I'll pull it out of the bookcase. I saw all of the first series of Silk and have seen all of the current. As to Insp. Montalbano, the grainy 1970s quality of the film and the whimsy struck me as well and I initially assumed it was an old series they'd dug up! I'll give Spiral a whirl.

Comment

Spiral is very French, Parisian seediness plus lawyer/police interaction, dodgy cops, corrupt politicos, nice characters but you have to keep your wits about you. You need to move from episode to episode, Anna

Comment

The Bridge Season 2 - BBC4, January 2014

hooked! line and sinker! a Scandinavian blonde bombshell with a touch of Aspergers as lead detective and it works! not to mention the plot; the lighting is special too = the cities by night are beautifully photographed ...

... the inter nation cooperation and mick taking is fun too .... that is Saturday night booked then
                              Very, very glad to learn that this is on its way back in January

Here's the trailer:

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Very, very glad to learn that this is on its way back in January

Here's the trailer:

http://television.thedigitalfix.com/...g-to-bbc4.html
                                Yes this is very good news Cali

I hope it's a lot better than the trailer tho'

Comment

Working...
                                X