Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remember where this was raised, but this seems the appropriate forum: I concede that I (like Martin) jumped to the wrong conclusion about what August got up to when staying the night with Saga...

Folk still enjoying this?

I am still gripped - and love the occasional jaw-droppingly beautiful bit of filming. The opening scene of Ep. 8 (the snowscape with pylons, two little children and the perpetrator silhouetted, the bus arriving...) and the scene in Ep.10 where the abandoned car is found by the police car in two converging alleys of high trees or hedges... Magic
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Terrific - all manner of things moving just under the surface. Fine stuff.

Comment

Still the biggest hit for months in the extended family Gould. The good lady's way of telling Dad she had not had sex with son was quite brilliant.
        Last edited by antongould; 14-05-12, 23:24.

Comment

absolutely ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I am still gripped - and love the occasional jaw-droppingly beautiful bit of filming. The opening scene of Ep. 8 (the snowscape with pylons, two little children and the perpetrator silhouetted, the bus arriving...) and the scene in Ep.10 where the abandoned car is found by the police car in two converging alleys of high trees or hedges... Magic
            I do agree. The city-scape 'still' images are almost always stunningly beautiful and are a real joy to see. It is something that it is nearly entirely lacking in UK made dramas - that sense of beautifully composed 'shots'.

Comment

For Lady Norfolk and myself, it's the bizarrely humorous exchanges between Saga and her Colleague From Across The Bridge that make the programme a little different from (while it is in all other respects the equal of) previous examples of 'Nordic Noir'. We're not sure whether they'll end up as The North's answer to Morse and Lewis, or as that part of the world's equivalent to Messrs. Armstrong and Osman (who - to the deprived unititiated) are the main reason for watching BBC 1's 'Pointless').
              I agree with comments above on the still images. Yet another benefit of giving producers, and thereby what they produce, time to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                For Lady Norfolk and myself, it's the bizarrely humorous exchanges between Saga and her Colleague From Across The Bridge that make the programme a little different from (while it is in all other respects the equal of) previous examples of 'Nordic Noir'. We're not sure whether they'll end up as The North's answer to Morse and Lewis, or as that part of the world's equivalent to Messrs. Armstrong and Osman (who - to the deprived unititiated) are the main reason for watching BBC 1's 'Pointless').
                I agree with comments above on the still images. Yet another benefit of giving producers, and thereby what they produce, time to breathe.
                YAY Norfs! Totally marvellous to have you back!

I love the Saga-Martin relationship & how it develops - the exchanges about sex & relationships in Epis 6/7 made me laugh out loud. She is a remarkable actor, keeping her very long face absolutely deadpan while she's clearly thinking about what she's expected to say/do. Very much the highlight of my viewing week at the moment
                Last edited by Guest; 15-05-12, 09:59. Reason: wek?

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

After the 'social conscience' killings of The Bridge, will there be a political crime thriller from the Mediterranean arriving on TV screens next year?:

Murders at heart of new book resonate strongly with a mass readership furious at Greece's tax-dodging elite

Of course there's hardly enough money to survive in Greece let alone film TV serials so perhaps not, but it would be an interesting contrast with the gloomy Northern cityscapes. And no sweaters

Comment

Heading in the opposite direction, so to speak: Has anybody seen the Mega Channel adaptation of Victoria Coren's 'The Island'? It's available on youtube with English subtitles, but there are 26 episodes, and it would be helpful to hear from anybody who has seen all or part of it before I commit myself. It was reportedly a popular and critical success in Greece, and seems to have been their equivalent, in budgetary terms, of the Nordic programmes to which BBC 4 treats us. Perhaps they would like to purchase it?

Comment

I haven't seen, or heard of, The Island Norfy but as to The Bridge, like Ammy I've laughed out loud at some of the exchanges between Saga and Martin, particularly in episode 8, and it has been fascinating to see their relationship develop. The good news is that a new series starts filming in the Autumn for transmission towards the end of 2013. Next Saturday will be the final episodes and I for one will be very sorry when it ends, although quite how it'll be wrapped up I'm not sure (I don't wish to post any speculations as I've only caught up with the last transmission and I know others still have to. For those who haven't seen it at all, every episode is available on iplayer until May 26th)

Comment

DOH!
                          It's just been pointed out to me, by my better half, that 'The Island' is by Victoria HISLOP (Ian's better half) and not Victoria Coren (the late, lamented Alan's daughter). I thoroughly enjoyed the novel - as I have others recommended by the Blessed Richard and Judy. VH's second novel, set in Spain instead of Greece, is called 'The Return', which I also enjoyed. I've yet to read her third, called 'The Thread', which is set, like her first, in Greece.
                          I've still to see Episode 8 of 'The Bridge' - we watch the 9.00 p.m. episode each week and record the 10.00 p.m. for later viewing.

Comment

[COLOR="#FF0000"]I've still to see Episode 8 of 'The Bridge' - we watch the 9.00 p.m. episode each week and record the 10.00 p.m. for later viewing.
                            Most people do the same, 2 hours of intense concentration is sometimes too much, which is why it's difficult to discuss without spoiling it for others! I usually watch the second one on Sunday evening or even later in the week. I'll look out for The Island book but on YouTube is that 26 episodes of an hour each and is it, as usual on YT, split into 15 min segments? (And, Victoria Coren is to marry David Mitchell - a perfect match I think!)

Comment

Well, what did people make of it in the end?

Comment

Quite gripping, bu a mildly disappointing conclusion. The events of the previous eight episodes suddenly seemed a tad far-fetcghed, once we knew Jens was the perp and his motive was revenge against Martin. As so often with these things the thrill is in the chase; interest tends to flag once the quarry has been cornered

Comment

Working...
                                X