Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
    Quite gripping, bu a mildly disappointing conclusion. The events of the previous eight episodes suddenly seemed a tad far-fetcghed, once we knew Jens was the perp and his motive was revenge against Martin. As so often with these things the thrill is in the chase; interest tends to flag once the quarry has been cornered
    No - absolutely gripping last two episodes. I was absolutely on the edge of my seat.

Remember others may still be catching up on iPlayer - I had episode 9 on it by 1030! - so no spoilers please....

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Well, what did people make of it in the end?
      Wow.

More details when others (at least 2 I know from these parts) have caught up. But for now, just:

wow.

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Wow.
        EXACTLY my sentiments, too, Cali.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Right at the start of this thread, people were writing it off etcetc, and I always thought it was a slow burner, and as Caliban says 'wow!' that it surely was.

How do they do it, those Scandinavians! Dignified, restrained, much of it in more or less black and white, ingenious slow plots, patience in revelation and acting, no OTT screaming and shouting, beautifully, and I do mean beautifully, shot. East your heart out Sarah!

Comment

What I thought all three - The Killing, Borgen and The Bridge - had in common and to a very high standard, was a focus on the relationships. We have just seen Saga change significantly (mostly thorough her relationship with Martin) in the last three episodes; Martin has had a significant epiphany; and the series was much more about them and their relationship than it was about tracking down TT. I don't have much experience of the British equivalents but my hunch is that the excellence of this relational narrative may be one of the key elements that has made all three so successful. I would be interested to know if others who've followed British 'crimis' agree.

Comment

wow yes and brilliant etc

what a moral arc tho i will post more when we are sure to be over the 'no spoiler' date ... and i do feel that the revenge spiral has a coherence ..

i do not think we have been shown such a beautiful set of relationships as Saga with Martin Hans & August and ending on dinner with Anton ... beautiful ... very fine acting by Sofia Helin
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                i do not think we have been shown such a beautiful set of relationships as Saga with Martin Hans & August and ending on dinner with Anton ... beautiful ... very fine acting by Sofia Helin

Comment

... very fine acting by Sofia Helin
                  Yes I thought she was excellent. The subtle changes in Saga so well conveyed in the last two episodes.

A nice interview with her in the Graun.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Wow.

More details when others (at least 2 I know from these parts) have caught up. But for now, just:

wow.

As you say - wow! Do you think the 'Bridge Freaks' on AA should switch to this thread when everybody concerned has seen the last episode, then we can have our Mass Debate (don't ask...)?

Comment

wow yes and brilliant etc

what a moral arc tho i will post more when we are sure to be over the 'no spoiler' date ... and i do feel that the revenge spiral has a coherence ..

Absolut!

Comment

Just watched it through Sat's epis again. Utterly brilliant. Second viewing shows so many more details in the filming and thinking behind it.

Comment

So many things to pick up on - here are a few:
                          - humans dwarfed by cold, unforgiving scenery (also a marked feature of 'Wallander')
                          - the dark underside of supposedly prosperous, well-governed Nordic countries
                          - the periodic shots of the bridge (the crucial significance of which became increasingly clear)
                          - the use of Hitchcockian long shots, especially in bleak, isolated locations (cf. 'North by Northwest')
                          - the revelatory beauty of industrial plant at night
                          - the incorporation of IT into the plot and its use to drive forward the plot
                          - the brilliant acting of 'Augustus' in the last episode
                          - the use of gestures when words were never going to be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            the brilliant acting of 'August' in the last episode
                            Yes! Indeed, throughout he was excellent: from seeming to be a stereotypical adolescent male in the first episodes, through the distinctly "uncool" gormless adoring gazes he gave Saga when he first saw her, through the discussions with his father up to this terrific conclusion (i-Player watchers, can you please HURRY UP and watch the thing so we can discuss it properly!)

Oh yes; Saga's inner emotional world communicated with the slightest eyebrow movement, for example.

Tremendous, tremendous, the whole thing tremendous!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Not forgetting the 'furtiva lacrima'

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                                So many things to pick up on - here are a few:
                                - humans dwarfed by cold, unforgiving scenery (also a marked feature of 'Wallander')
                                - the dark underside of supposedly prosperous, well-governed Nordic countries
                                - the periodic shots of the bridge (the crucial significance of which became increasingly clear)
                                - the use of Hitchcockian long shots, especially in bleak, isolated locations (cf. 'North by Northwest')
                                - the revelatory beauty of industrial plant at night
                                - the incorporation of IT into the plot and its use to drive forward the plot
                                - the brilliant acting of 'Augustus' in the last episode
                                Spot on

Comment

Working...
                                X