Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Bridge" - Season 4 on BBC2

Fans of Scandinavian crime drama are in for treat – even if the premise of this Swedish/Danish co-production is almost enough to make your head explode. A body is found exactly halfway across the Oresund bridge that connects Copenhagen with Malmo, meaning the investigation has to involve both Danish and Swedish maverick detectives. Sadly, Wallander and Lund were not on duty that night. BBC4, April.

hope this lives up to the hype/promise etc ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Starts 21st April @ 9 p.m. BBC 4

Comment

from Caliban

More killing in Denmark (well, on the eponymous bridge between Denmark and Sweden) in

The Bridge

Two episodes per Saturday evening for the next 5 weeks....

Swedish and Danish police join forces to investigate when a body is found on a bridge.
      looking forward to it .....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        from Caliban
        looking forward to it .....
        Me too! Apologies for overlooking your thread last week. I only learned of this yesterday.

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

no worries chum

let's hope it is as good as The Killing and Borgen eh?

Comment

no worries chum

Comment

no worries chum

Mrs V is already clearing her engagement diary : she is a complete addict of 'The Killing'. (We have separate televisions. When I told her that Alastair Hannay had taught himself Danish so that he could read and understand the works of Kierkegaard - she gave me a look... )

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                Mrs V is already clearing her engagement diary : she is a complete addict of 'The Killing'. (We have separate televisions. When I told her that Alastair Hannay had taught himself Danish so that he could read and understand the works of Kierkegaard - she gave me a look... )

I sometimes wonder whether Mrs V realises what a lucky woman she is...

Comment

hooked! line and sinker! a Scandinavian blonde bombshell with a touch of Aspergers as lead detective and it works! not to mention the plot; the lighting is special too = the cities by night are beautifully photographed ...

... the inter nation cooperation and mick taking is funn too .... that is Saturday night booked then

the gentle, laid-back Martin Rohde. He has a slightly alarming habit of massaging his groin – perhaps the last tic left unassigned to a TV cop – but has the excuse of having just undergone a vasectomy.

He has to tread carefully in more ways than one, as he is obliged to team up with Swedish detective Saga Norén (Sofia Helin), a woman endowed with all the logical brilliance of Mr Spock but with even fewer people skills. Her wide-eyed accidental rudeness quickly becomes a highlight of the series. torygraf

Comment

hooked! line and sinker!
                    Me, too!

a Scandinavian blonde bombshell with a touch of Aspergers as lead detective and it works! not to mention the plot; the lighting is special too = the cities by night are beautifully photographed ...

... the inter nation cooperation and mick taking is funn too .... that is Saturday night booked then
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

H'm. I thought this might have been a Bridge too far. Some of the plotting seems frankly ludicrous and the heroine seemed something of a neurotic caricature (if she had been such a stickler for regulations would she have been showing her one-night stand confidential evidence about a murder?) Some of the low-life scenes were impressively done, though, and the bomb-in-the-car scene. That mustachioed character seemed somewhat suspicious (aren't they always?) Anyway, I'll stick with it, though I don't think any of the recent Scandinavian series has matched the first Killing series.

[Is there some long-standing tension between Denmark and Sweden and is the portrayal of the obsessive Swedish detective a bit of a Danish laugh at Swedish national characteristics?]

Comment

Hey, the sub-plots will gradually evolve, hang in there: the tension between the worryingly ADHD cop and her laid-back colleague from across the bridge is fraught with possibilities. Looks intriguing.

Comment

Unlike The Killing, The Bridge is on iplayer for anyone wishing to catch up.
                          I'm not sure that it can be described as enjoyable (and does the sun never shine there), I feel it's going to be difficult to have any empathy with Saga, as opposed to Martin, but I confess I'm hooked and intrigued to find where the heart patient and the social worker fit into the plot (will say no more as do not wish to give any spoilers for those who have not watched)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Unlike The Killing, The Bridge is on iplayer for anyone wishing to catch up.
                            I'm not sure that it can be described as enjoyable (and does the sun never shine there), I feel it's going to be difficult to have any empathy with Saga, as opposed to Martin, but I confess I'm hooked and intrigued to find where the heart patient and the social worker fit into the plot (will say no more as do not wish to give any spoilers for those who have not watched)
                            Agreed. Was the bloke with the moustache a social worker then? Hadn't picked that up. I found it hard to distinguish some of the blond long-haired women. To begin with I thought that the woman with the kids for whom he found a safe house was the detective (I soon realised that was not the case); then, that the safe house woman (the social worker's sister?) was the same as the one living rough with the scarred forearm...

But the possibilities and the intriguing mix of the Saga-Martin duo will keep me at it. Martin is a particularly good creation.

Comment

well as i watch the resumed Leveson hearings i must say that although i would have objected to the portrayal of Saga Noren as so dysfunctional a personality the exposure of the senior ranks of the MPS before m'lud has swept aside any such objections as to realism ....

my main curiosity is to what extent the Bridge will unfold as satire or comedy .... there is a lot of deadpan humour going on which i find enjoyable

Comment

Working...
                              X