• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Another Murderer on The Early Music Show Saturday 12 March

Catherine Bott explores the scandalous life, and music of the Italian trombonist and composer Bartolomeo Tromboncino, who murdered his adulterous wife and her lover a century before the infamous musician Carlo Gesualdo did the same

Catherine Bott explores the scandalous life of Italian musician Bartolomeo Tromboncino.

Wikipedia tells us
    Bartolomeo Tromboncino (c. 1470 – 1535 or later) was an Italian composer of the middle Renaissance. He is mainly famous as a composer of frottola
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Looks like another one for the art and ethics thread!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post

Wikipedia tells us
      Bartolomeo Tromboncino (c. 1470 – 1535 or later) was an Italian composer of the middle Renaissance. He is mainly famous as a composer of frottola
      Frottole, if you please!

Comment

• Cellini

And here was me thinking you were going to say it was Bliar.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

If my memory serves me correctly, I think there was once a whole LP of Tromboncino Frottole by Anthony Rooley's Consort of Musicke on the admirable Florilegium series. Sadly it never made it to CD, but maybe Eloquence Australia will one day resolve that - they are digging up some valuable gems from the old Decca catalogue.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            Catherine Bott explores the scandalous life, and music of the Italian trombonist and composer Bartolomeo Tromboncino, who murdered his adulterous wife and her lover a century before the infamous musician Carlo Gesualdo did the same
            Perhaps the programme should be renamed The Midsomer Mediaeval Musical Murders Show.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

are there other examples of people being named after the instrument they play, I wonder

Mr Tambourine Man
              Last edited by mercia; 11-03-11, 09:28.

Comment

• Don Petter

Washboard Sam?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                  are there other examples of people being named after the instrument they play, I wonder
                  Harpo Marx? More relevantly, according to Grove his father was called Bernardino Piffaro (shawm).

Edit: Tromboncino's father, I mean, not Harpo's
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Gordon
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    If my memory serves me correctly, I think there was once a whole LP of Tromboncino Frottole by Anthony Rooley's Consort of Musicke on the admirable Florilegium series. Sadly it never made it to CD, but maybe Eloquence Australia will one day resolve that - they are digging up some valuable gems from the old Decca catalogue.
                    TROMBONCINO's sixteen Frottole were recorded on 16th-21st June 1980 at Decca's West Hampstead Studio 3 by the Consort of Musicke and Anthony Rooley (lute)

Released by L’OISEAU-LYRE in December 1981 as LP: DSLO593 and later as CD 421 960 2 in 1993 and excepts were issued in July 1994 on CD 443 200 2OM. If you are lucky you might find these second hand somewhere like Gramex near Waterloo.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by hercule View Post

Mr Tambourine Man
                      Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man
                      Schubert - Der Leiermann (same instrument)
                      Johnny Cymbal - Mr Bass Man
                      Peter Sellers - The Trumpet Volunteer
                      Phil the Fluter('s Ball)
                      Gene Krupa - Drummer Man

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                        TROMBONCINO's sixteen Frottole were recorded on 16th-21st June 1980 at Decca's West Hampstead Studio 3 by the Consort of Musicke and Anthony Rooley (lute)

Released by L’OISEAU-LYRE in December 1981 as LP: DSLO593 and later as CD 421 960 2 in 1993 and excepts were issued in July 1994 on CD 443 200 2OM. If you are lucky you might find these second hand somewhere like Gramex near Waterloo.
                        Thank you very much for this, Gordon - I had no idea that the recording made it to CD. It could be quite a task to track it down, but I can live in hope! Ebay might also be the answer - sometime ago I really had given up on ever finding another long-deleted CD when I tried ebay and lo and behold, someone in Singapore came up with a copy! It certainly put an end to the trailing round secondhand record shops.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Dallipiccolo

Obviously.

3VS

Comment

Working...
                          X