X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMS Taverner Consort - 12 NOON on Sunday

The Taverner Consort at 50

The Early Music Show
    The Taverner Consort and Players emerged in 1973 and has since become a world leader in the period performance of Baroque and Classical music. Hannah French talks to its founder Andrew Parrott about the group's extraordinary five decades of success and discovery.

I was alerted to this by Emma Kirkby et al singing Monteverdi's Dixit Dominus on R3 this morning; also being notified that this rather special EMS is earlier than usual. Not to be missed!

Hannah French talks to Andrew Parrott, founder of the Taverner Consort and Players.

Thank you, I would have missed this! Have been a fan and collector of their recordings over the years, should be a good programme.

Comment

Andrew Parrott is in my experience most thoughtful and interesting musician and writer. Among other things, he has published a book on HIPP which goes into the thorny questionof 'the composer's intentions'.

Comment

That's the one, ardcarp. Thanks for your search. I couldn't remember the title.

Comment

I think he was excellent in Renaissance music, Taverner and Browne and Josquin - both his own consort recording and on the (fabulous) recording with Michael Morrow. The chant on his recording of Taverner’s Western Wind mass is pretty special too.

I’m less keen on his Machaut mass, though hats off to him for such pioneering performances. For me, my taste (I don’t think I’m saying more than that) it’s too fast. How you decide speed in this sort of music is a complete mystery to me.

Here’s the Musica Reservata Josquin, where he sings a bit - this really deserves to be rereleased I think.

All pieces composed by Josquin Des Prés (c. 1450-1521)Chanson: Mille Regretz (damaged groove)Pavane: Mille Regretz Song Setting: Scaramella Va Alla Guerre Ch...
          Last edited by Mandryka; 26-08-23, 18:00.

Comment

I believe what used to be called 'men of sense' agree that the furher you go back in time (generally speaking) the more conjecture there is about how a piece 'should' be performed. Of course there will always be the fundamentalists with their 'thou shalt' and their 'thou shalt not...' but as in all aspects of life I think there is a happy medium to be aspired to.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              I believe what used to be called 'men of sense' agree that the furher you go back in time (generally speaking) the more conjecture there is about how a piece 'should' be performed. Of course there will always be the fundamentalists with their 'thou shalt' and their 'thou shalt not...' but as in all aspects of life I think there is a happy medium to be aspired to.
              Would that be Madame Arcati?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  Thank you, I would have missed this! Have been a fan and collector of their recordings over the years, should be a good programme.
                  It was*. He’s a delight to listen to (as of course were the TC&P excerpts)

*apart from the customary dash for the ‘mute’ button to avoid the toe-curling ‘early music news’ intrusion
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                    *apart from the customary dash for the ‘mute’ button to avoid the toe-curling ‘early music news’ intrusion

.. .and also mute / curse the endless Sounds / iPlayer / Proms adverts
                    I wish there was a way we could tell Sam Jackson to stop it - possibly employing electrical connections.

Comment

That was a lovely programme...APART FROM THE STUPID INTERRUPTION....which did spoil the flow and my enjoyment very markedly. Andrew Parrott came over as a lovely man, modest about his achievements, which have been terrific. He must be a tireless researcher, though.....

I believe what used to be called 'men of sense' agree that the further you go back in time (generally speaking) the more conjecture there is about how a piece 'should' be performed. Of course there will always be the fundamentalists with their 'thou shalt' and their 'thou shalt not...' but as in all aspects of life I think there is a happy medium to be aspired to.
                      ....is a very sensible observation. However AP did seem to have some evidence for his OVPP views.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Just listened to the programme...I wonder what Ms Skeaping thinks of being interrupted halfway in by Sibilant Sam? Truly dreadful.
                        As for Andrew Parrott, I could happily have listened to him for another hour at least.
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Just listened to the programme...I wonder what Ms Skeaping thinks of being interrupted halfway in by Sibilant Sam? Truly dreadful.
                          As for Andrew Parrott, I could happily have listened to him for another hour at least.​​​​​​
                          Your alliteration made me laugh, thank you.

Not quite an hour, but this 2011 "Andrew Parrott on Reconstructions" EMS is partially available, ~20mins of the original ~57min.

Sadly, the 2007 Radio 3 40th anniversary EMS, with guests including Andrew Parrott, isn't available; nor is AP's Lifetime Achievement in the "Live at the 2014 York Early Music Festival" EMS.

Comment

Thanks for that... I'm quite tempted to buy the book mentioned in the programme, it looks like an interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                            X