Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMS Early Music in Derbyshire

An interesting Early Music Show - Sophie Yates' "My Lady Careys Dompe" was good fun (I'm listening to Trevor Pinnock's at the mo.)

The EM News was edited down to zero, with a swift curse and rush to the stop button.
    Exactly what does "editing" mean in "Plus, your weekly editing of Early Music News from Mark Seow​"?

Early Music in Derbyshire - The Early Music Show
    The National Trust's Senior Curator John Chu takes Hannah French around two stunning properties in Derbyshire: Hardwick Hall & Kedleston Hall to explore the musical links in the buildings, furnishings and art works.
    Plus, your weekly editing of Early Music News from Mark Seow.
    Scone (to rhyme with bone*) photo on Twitter - plus other interesting photos.

* As a Northerner, I usually pronounce it Scone as in gone, Scone as in bone always sounder posher. But, I think HF may be right.

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    An interesting Early Music Show
    * As a Northerner, I usually pronounce it Scone as in gone, Scone as in bone always sounder posher. But, I think HF may be right.
    HF is a Northener (https://www.hannahfrench.com/)...

...but may have been southernised

Comment

... writing as a posh southerner - it's scone to rhyme with gone.

Scone to rhyme with cone is for the hyacinth buckets of this world...

Comment

Or skoon as in [Stone of] Scone (the place)*
        I assume that the Mr Meow editing refers to the limited amount of news that can be fitted in - so in fact it's Mr Meow's picks...
        Very much enjoyed this EMS - I like these out and about sessions, hearing from people enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their subject. I think both Hannah French and Lucie Skeaping are very good at getting the most out of the format, being knowledgeable themselves so able to ask intelligent questions, but also genuinely interested in what they see and hear.

* where fruit scones are reincarnated as rock buns?

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          The EM News was edited down to zero, with a swift curse and rush to the stop button.
          Glad I’m not alone. In my case it will be punching of the ‘forward 20 seconds’ button, but certainly accompanied by a curse/oath…

What a blot on the programme that stupid intrusion is
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Glad I’m not alone. In my case it will be punching of the ‘forward 20 seconds’ button, but certainly accompanied by a curse/oath…

What a blot on the programme that stupid intrusion is
            As it came right at the end of the programme I assumed there wouldn't be anything else when it had finished, so took the opportunity to go and make a cuppa before CE.
            Agree about the blot intrusion - it cuts into output that had already been cut in earlier rounds of "cost-saving".

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

As it came right at the end of the programme I assumed there wouldn't be anything else
              Ah, haven’t listened yet; good tip, thanks. It’s usually mid-programme

I’ll remember to punch the stop button with an oath this time then
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Just out of interest, does any other R3 programme have this dreadful "edited" intrusion foisted upon it? If not, why only EMS? The programme is short enough as it is.

Comment

Apologies, just realised that the linked photos may not be visible to everyone.
                  Here's the Scone photo, with a mischievious looking HF.

(Original here. Low-res version, fair use for discusion)

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Quite!

Comment

Along with the ridiculous pseudo posh aspirated "aitch"!

Comment

​​

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        HF is a Northener (https://www.hannahfrench.com/)...
                        ...but may have been southernised
                        ​HF is a Yorkshire lass! Thanks Old Grumpy. We have a few posh bits up North, just think of Harrogate

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Just out of interest, does any other R3 programme have this dreadful "edited" intrusion foisted upon it? If not, why only EMS? The programme is short enough as it is.
                          The nearest equivalent I can think of is when the morning schedules mention concerts that listeners have sent details of - but that doesn't cut into the programme time as such since it's just part of the chat/listener interaction content.
                          Yes it is an insult plus injury situation with the EMS - that having cut the EM output anyway there are further incursions made into the little that's left.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            The nearest equivalent I can think of is when the morning schedules mention concerts that listeners have sent details of - but that doesn't cut into the programme time as such since it's just part of the chat/listener interaction content.
                            Yes it is an insult plus injury situation with the EMS - that having cut the EM output anyway there are further incursions made into the little that's left.
                            Oh for the halcyon days when we had four Early Music Shows a weekend... (inc. repeats).

For example:

Sat 9th June 2007
                            13:00 Lucie Skeaping presents a concert by Philippe Jaroussky
                            00:00 To mark the 250th anniversary of the death of Domenico Scarlatti, Catherine Bott presents...

Sun 10th June 2007
                            13:00 Catherine Bott looks at the life and career of 16th-century Italian composer Emilio de Cavalieri
                            00:00 Lucie Skeaping presents a programme featuring chamber music by Telemann and his two godsons

Comment

Indeed. R3 seems to have decided that several centuries of music don't merit attention. Even the output between early 18th and mid 19th centuries seems suspect now given the dearth of its presence in the evening concerts, and often thin pickings elsewhere, in my admittedly,jaundiced view.

Comment

Working...
                              X