Corelli Christmas Concerto without Largo Pastorale: what were they thinking?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corelli Christmas Concerto without Largo Pastorale: what were they thinking?

I tuned in to the early music show today. It was first time listening in a long time. Two criticisms: far too much Classic FM syle prattle and talking over/cutting music from a presenter who obviously loves their own voice. Secondly what is the point of playing the Christmas Concerto by Corelli but only playing movements 1-3 and not playing the Pastorale that was added at Christmas but merely mentioning it. I am sorry to be a grinch but really…who produces this?
    Last edited by matteob; 24-12-23, 20:49.

Sadly all too typical of present-day R3.
    You'll find many similar grouses here, but also lots more positive material to read and contribute to, if you should feel inclined to, which I hope you will.

Comment

The pastorale was dealt with throughout the programme, rather than just playing the "well known one". The format was different as it was a festive edition rather than the more in depth examination of a particular topic. Having said that I thought a lot of information was included about various traditions, musical and food related,how they have evolved, and the differences in other countries.
      If this was how EMS always is now then I would be inclined to agree with your view, but so far it isn't(but how long that will be the case who knows) and I enjoyed it. As a bonus we didn't have Mr Meeow, although they did manage to clip a few minutes off the end of the broadcast to insert an EC ad - mute switch employed pronto so I don't know what else also filled the gap.

Comment

I didn't hear it but looking at the playlist I would have my usual gripe: too many pieces in most of the R3 programmes these days. Here, 16 pieces in an hour. If they had three or four works, the presentation/production would probably be more sastisfactory.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I didn't hear it but looking at the playlist I would have my usual gripe: too many pieces in most of the R3 programmes these days. Here, 16 pieces in an hour. If they had three or four works, the presentation/production would probably be more sastisfactory.
          See my comment about festive edition rather than normal format.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

See my comment about festive edition rather than normal format.
            I'm not sure that a 'festive edition' needs to be just a more focused version of the ragbag programming of the R3 schedule most days of the year. A 'festive edition' could also be one which played two or three works in the hour - that would be a departure from the normal format too.I would think that more restful for a Sunday Christmas Eve than the average 4-minute snippet style.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I'm not sure that a 'festive edition' needs to be just a more focused version of the ragbag programming of the R3 schedule most days of the year. A 'festive edition' could also be one which played two or three works in the hour - that would be a departure from the normal format too.I would think that more restful for a Sunday Christmas Eve than the average 4-minute snippet style.
              If one of the few remaining worthwhile R3 programmes decides to have a bit of fun, for just one out of its however many of the year total, by a more informal approach, I don't have an issue with that. There was still way more factual content,even with a higher chat quotient and casual approach, than most of a typical daytime's output, and without all the adverts, social meeja, and other assorted junk. The short excerpts approach fitted the round the kitchen table scenario(was the Les mentioned Les Pratt?), and 16 pieces in an hour is nothing compared to Tom Service's regular slot, which last week had 19 in 30 minutes, and apparently is liked by many/some.
              If it becomes the regular format then that would be a different matter, and I would not defend it. However, as a one off, I very much enjoyed it.

Comment

However, as a one off, I very much enjoyed it.
                Well, you're the listener, not me so it really isn't very relevant what I think from a theoretical perspective, rather than you, practically, as a listener. It merely reflects the reason why I found R3 so unsatisfactory and gave up listening altogther. From comments here I would judge that it's much worse now.

Comment

Well, you're the listener, not me so it really isn't very relevant what I think from a theoretical perspective, rather than you, practically, as a listener. It merely reflects the reason why I found R3 so unsatisfactory and gave up listening altogther. From comments here I would judge that it's much worse now.
                  It is indeed very much worse now. It seems to me that the hours scheduled today and tomorrow for bits and pieces and chat instead of proper programmes are indicative of how much worse, in that management presumably think it is appropriate fare for R3 to "celebrate" Christmas.
                  I am just wondering how much worse it will get in 2024 now that Afternoon Concert has been badly infected. I suppose increasing the listener interaction will be the next gimmick, notwithstanding having tried that and quietly abandoned it some years ago. Perhaps that is why there is so much of it today and tomorrow - seeing if anyone notices.

Comment

It is indeed very much worse now. It seems to me that the hours scheduled today and tomorrow for bits and pieces and chat instead of proper programmes are indicative of how much worse, in that management presumably think it is appropriate fare for R3 to "celebrate" Christmas.
                    I am just wondering how much worse it will get in 2024 now that Afternoon Concert has been badly infected. I suppose increasing the listener interaction will be the next gimmick, notwithstanding having tried that and quietly abandoned it some years ago. Perhaps that is why there is so much of it today and tomorrow - seeing if anyone notices.
                    To misquote a former PM: 'Ratings, dear boy - ratings'. Although it's increasingly starting to resemble Classic FM in some respects, Radio 3 seems to be holding onto, or even increasing, its listenership while Classic FM's has been declining steadily for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Radio 3 seems to be holding onto, or even increasing, its listenership
                      I don't know where the idea comes from that it has been increasing. It struggles to make 2m per week now, falling back by a lot some quarters, recovering from big drops in other quarters. Without claiming a correlation, Classic FM's reach has been declining as R3 has come to provide similar programming. I wouldn't see that as a triumph. For either station.

Comment

I don't know where the idea comes from that it has been increasing. It struggles to make 2m per week now, falling back by a lot some quarters, recovering from big drops in other quarters. Without claiming a correlation, Classic FM's reach has been declining as R3 has come to provide similar programming. I wouldn't see that as a triumph. For either station.
                        Radio 3 listenership increased by 17.2% between Q3 2022 and Q3 2023, and is also higher, albeit it only very slightly, than it was at the start of the pandemic. While it's had its ups and downs, Classic FM and Scala Radio don't seem to have had any of the former for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Radio 3 listenership increased by 17.2% between Q3 2022 and Q3 2023, and is also higher, albeit it only very slightly, than it was at the start of the pandemic.
                          It isn't an "increase" in listenership if it's simply recovering from a previously very low figure. Last quarter it barely made 2m. Compare that with, say, exactly 20 years ago - Sept 2003 - reach was 2.214m. And Sept 2022 was an appalling 1.708m.

Comment

I have just caught up with this on Sounds and really quite enjoyed it.

Fellow Francophiles might enjoy this from Yorkshire Post Magazine: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorks...81668259349591 - although her choice of favourite pub/restaurant is somewhat recherchè, given the menu https://www.blackswanoldstead.co.uk/food/

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                              I have just caught up with this on Sounds and really quite enjoyed it.

Fellow Francophiles might enjoy this from Yorkshire Post Magazine: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorks...81668259349591 - although her choice of favourite pub/restaurant is somewhat recherchè, given the menu https://www.blackswanoldstead.co.uk/food/
                              Interesting article (okay, you fooled me with your intro ), but not my taste by way of an eatery (even if someone else was paying!). At all. But I expect it's quite edible ... I would do something quite different with all that luscious vegetabile, Caro ed amabile.

Comment

Working...
                              X