Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinoiserie

Some interesting content, but it felt rather scrappy in terms of presentation to me - but that may have been irritation at Mark Seow, whose voice I don't like. Did I hear correctly that the now obligatory news intrusion wasn't delivered by MS? I activated the mute button as soon as I could but the voice didn't sound like MS.

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Some interesting content, but it felt rather scrappy in terms of presentation to me - but that may have been irritation at Mark Seow, whose voice I don't like. Did I hear correctly that the now obligatory news intrusion wasn't delivered by MS? I activated the mute button as soon as I could but the voice didn't sound like MS.
    I heard a bit and found him less annoying than when trying to make an ‘impact’ with his little news slot. Didn’t hear the latter today.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Some interesting content, but it felt rather scrappy in terms of presentation to me
      Fifteen separate pieces in an hour, given there was presumably some spoken commentary as well, sounds a bit excessive.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Fifteen separate pieces in an hour, given there was presumably some spoken commentary as well, sounds a bit excessive.
        Well 6 were from the same piece... But yes so many, mostly very short, items didn't help and I'm not convinced they were used to best effect. I rather lost track of what MS was getting at, or trying to illustrate, at times.

Comment

This is all Chinese to me. When and where was this presumably-named programme on?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            This is all Chinese to me. When and where was this presumably-named programme on?

Mark Seow gives 'Chinoiserie' as one of his research interests.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Many thanks, ff.

Comment

I think it was Barnaby Gordon doing the EM news - apparently he's a R3 producer, (but has also announced on BBC 1, 2, CBeebies, Radio 1, 3, 4, 5 Live, 6 Music & WS.)

You're right this was a really bitty programme & a curate's egg - some excellent bits, some just seemed like padding (or I misunderstood their significance.)

Back in 2008, there was a fascinating EMS on "18th C. Chinese music" - it seemed far more coherent & informative, if from the opposite viewpoint.
                Sunday 13 July 2008 13:00-14:00 (Radio 3)
                Continuing the theme of 'Music in a Strange Land', Lucie Skeaping introduces highlights from a concert performed at Harewood House by XVIII-21 le Baroque Nomade. Featuring 18th century music from China, composed by Jesuit missionaries there who often fused native styles with the traditions of the West.​

Comment

Mark Seow gives 'Chinoiserie' as one of his research interests.
                  Thanks french frank, that helps.
                  To me it evokes Owen Jones' "Examples of Chinese Ornament".

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                    Thanks french frank, that helps.
                    To me it evokes Owen Jones' "Examples of Chinese Ornament".
                    Oh, not that one! . The Bristol Museum has an exceptional collection - the Schiller Collection - of chinoiseries and other oriental artefacts. Perhaps you availed yourself of its proximity in your youth?

Comment

Oh, not that one! . The Bristol Museum has an exceptional collection - the Schiller Collection - of chinoiseries and other oriental artefacts. Perhaps you availed yourself of its proximity in your youth?
                      No, I missed it when I was at Bristol Univ. - but I've made a note of the Schiller collection for next time I'm over there! Thanks.

"In my youth, I feared it might injure the brain; but now that I'm perfectly sure I have none, why, I do it again and again.​"
                      Last edited by AuntDaisy; 15-01-24, 17:01. Reason: Corrected my BM Bristol / British Musem error!

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        No, I missed it when I was at Bristol Univ. - but I've made a note of the Schiller collection for next time I'm over there! Thanks.

"In my youth, I feared it might injure the brain; but now that I'm perfectly sure I have none, why, I do it again and again.​"
                        The Ming will make you zing!

Comment

Oh, not that one! . The Bristol Museum has an exceptional collection - the Schiller Collection - of chinoiseries and other oriental artefacts.
                          Interesting, french frank. I must remember this. I was at the British Museum in early November for the first time, with my Chinese partner. We spent a lot of time with the ceramic collections. I must mention to her about the Bristol collection.

Comment

Off topic, but I was quite taken aback by the Greek rooms in the British Museum. To these eyes, it resembled Del Boy's lock-up. One room in particular was far too small - "we'll stuff this in somehow. Who cares if there is no air room round the ceiling".

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post

Interesting, french frank. I must remember this. I was at the British Museum in early November for the first time, with my Chinese partner. We spent a lot of time with the ceramic collections. I must mention to her about the Bristol collection.
                              It's an Arts Council Designated Outstanding Collection (whatever that means). More details here:

It holds a Designated status under the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council Designation Scheme, which identifies and celebrates pre-eminent collections of national and international importance held in England’s non-national museums, libraries and archives. A highlight of the collection is the Schiller bequest of Chinese ceramics and other items (1946), including fine Tang dynasty (618-906 AD) […]

Comment

Working...
                              X