No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wroclaw Baroque Ensemble

Noooo...
    Today's EMS is a recording of a concert by the above group, so I had rather assumed that the Mr Meow slot wouldn't appear. Wrong.

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Noooo...
    Today's EMS is a recording of a concert by the above group, so I had rather assumed that the Mr Meow slot wouldn't appear. Wrong.
    It's possible that I haven't been paying attention or not read earlier posts, but what is the 'Mr Meow slot'?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

It's possible that I haven't been paying attention or not read earlier posts, but what is the 'Mr Meow slot'?
      Sorry, should have put Mark Seow in brackets after. He who does the news slot interruption and whose voice I have problems with, hence being impolite. Not good I know, and neither the interruption* nor his voice are his fault but I was annoyed.

*Unless it was his idea...

Comment

It's wrecking ball applied to what was one of the few listenable-to programs on Sunday R3 - anyway they lost me as a previous regular listener - as it appears for LMcD both the voice and the extremely annoying interruption are the turn offs.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          It's wrecking ball applied to what was one of the few listenable-to programs on Sunday R3 - anyway they lost me as a previous regular listener - as it appears for LMcD both the voice and the extremely annoying interruption are the turn offs.
          I'm the one for whom the voice as well as the interruption are an issue.
          I suppose in light of the way what was once Afternoon Concert has been got at I shouldn't be surprised that it was considered OK to interrupt a concert recording in this way, but still it was 5 minutes of music we could have had and didn't get. And it isn't as if the coverage of Early Music(however one defines it) is exactly extensive in the first place.

Comment

This all seems part of the BBC's belief that attention spans - everyone's - have now grown so short that programme content has to be broken up into short clips. Nobody sits for an hour non-stop reading a book, nobody goes to the theatre without consulting their mobiles every five minutes and definitely nobody goes to a concert wanting to listen to a piece of music longer than - at the very outside - 10 minutes.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Sorry, should have put Mark Seow in brackets after. He who does the news slot interruption and whose voice I have problems with, hence being impolite. Not good I know, and neither the interruption* nor his voice are his fault but I was annoyed.

*Unless it was his idea...
              Thanks for the explanation. I hope I'm not tempting Providence by noting that Private Passions and Through |he Night have, to the best of my knowledge,,remained trailer-free thus far.

Comment

Wrocław, before WWII, was Breslau. How exactly is Wrocław pronounced?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  Wrocław, before WWII, was Breslau. How exactly is Wrocław pronounced?
                  vrotswov

Comment

Polish early music festivals and ensembles feature quite often on TTN and, I think 'Afternoon concert', in the fill-up items after the main work in what they call the 'three-o'clock slot', i.e. the only time you'll hear a work of any length played complete. . .

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

vrotswov
                      Final v perhaps tending to unvoice to ff? Vrotswoff-Vrotswaff?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Final v perhaps tending to unvoice to ff? Vrotswoff-Vrotswaff?
                        ... wiki agrees with you -

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... wiki agrees with you -

A general phonological point. When a voiced consonant comes at the end of a word, it will unvoice (as German Hund is pronounced Hunt). So b > p, d > t, g > k, v > f. And z > s I suppose, though I can't think of an example of that. Spelling doesn't change, just the pronunciation.

Comment

Working...
                          X