Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucrezia Borgia's music EMS 28-4-2024

I'm puzzled. I'm pretty certain this has been broadcast before and it sounds familiar, but it isn't listed as a repeat. The fact that the music list is complete before the end of the programme suggests otherwise though. Anyone with a better memory or search skills able to shed light?

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    I'm puzzled. I'm pretty certain this has been broadcast before and it sounds familiar, but it isn't listed as a repeat. The fact that the music list is complete before the end of the programme suggests otherwise though. Anyone with a better memory or search skills able to shed light?
    You're right oddoneout, it was first broadcast 12/12/2021​.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      You're right oddoneout, it was first broadcast 12/12/2021​.
      Thank you AuntD. I don't mind that it's a repeat, it was no less interesting 2nd time around but I do mind that that wasn't made clear. I am still not convinced that EMS is safe I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Thank you AuntD. I don't mind that it's a repeat, it was no less interesting 2nd time around but I do mind that that wasn't made clear. I am still not convinced that EMS is safe I'm afraid.
        Yes, I would really miss EMS if it went.
        Happy for Auntie to repeat EMS programmes, but why not much older ones? There are over 20 years worth!! And we could have Catherine Bott "back"
        Remember the halcyon days of 4 EMS programmes each weekend...

Comment

Happy for Auntie to repeat EMS programmes, but why not much older ones? There are over 20 years worth!! And we could have Catherine Bott "back"
          I prefer not to - too sad...
          I still don't understand why the changes of recent years all seem to mean sidelining or omitting altogether anything from before the Classical era - and more recently precious little even from that period.
          I think it was on a recent EMS it was mentioned that as new music came in older repertoire simply fell from favour and was no longer performed, hence neglect of some now well known and cornerstone composers for periods of time, until they were rediscovered in "modern" times. It feels to me as if in R3 land that is happening again - pre 1850 or so falling from favour and preference given to anything forward of that.
          As has been remarked several times already the slogan " R3, The home of classical music" is increasingly inaccurate whether it's big C or little c, if centuries of composition are simply left out.

Comment

I’d completely forgotten that. I reckon that if they took out all the 20th and 21st Broadway and pop songs played on Radio 3 that rely on chord sequences that were established, even a cliché in the Baroque and pre Baroque eras they could easily leave room for three more EMS’s .

Comment

Introduced by Roger Wright (God bless 'im ). At the time of a major schedule change there was a press release in which he said he recognised the importance of Early Music, hence engaging Catherine Bott and Andrew Manze to present. Controllers have always seemed to want to put their personal stamp on the station, but I can't recall until now a controller who seems to have based all his changes on Audiences and Marketing rather than culture. Perhaps Early Music is now passé in marketing circles.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Introduced by Roger Wright (God bless 'im ). At the time of a major schedule change there was a press release in which he said he recognised the importance of Early Music, hence engaging Catherine Bott and Andrew Manze to present. Controllers have always seemed to want to put their personal stamp on the station, but I can't recall until now a controller who seems to have based all his changes on Audiences and Marketing rather than culture. Perhaps Early Music is now passé in marketing circles.

Sadly, I think you're right, French Frank, about Early Music being passé at the BBC...​

Why is it that Austrian radio, ORF Ö1, can have two regular Early Music / Baroque concerts a week (Alte Musik im Konzert Monday 14:05 & Alte Musik - neu interpretiert Wednesday 19:30) and R3 barely manages one a month (if that)?

Just compare their daily schedules (click Alle to expand) to the current R3 ones...
                Instead of the endless presenter driven short pieces / bleeding chunks, our Austrian friends get at least one proper Concert a day, often two. Plus relevant music & musician features.
                Plus... Weekday 5 min nature programmes, Mason Bees today. A Thought for Today that isn't necessarily religious, they even have actors & academics talking. An hour of Open University style programmes, Radiokolleg. Multiple feature programmes on a wide range of topics.

Radio 3 just isn't trying* anymore. It used to do ​all these, and do them well.

(* In the striving sense. It is in the other.).

Comment

They've nearly lost us - does anyone at R3 have any idea of what IN THE FIELD BEYOND THEIR WALLS has happened? And will they / can they dare to care?
                  It's been a disaster.

Comment

Working...
                  X