Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMS Music for Melancholy 19/5/2024 (R)

"Music for Melancholy" a welcome repeat from 2021.

Music for Melancholy

In this week raising awareness of mental health, Hannah French considers Music for Melancholy. From Dowland’s Flow, My Tears, to David’s Harp, she’s off in search of music with the power to balance the humours and transform the spirit. CPE Bach offers a contest between Sanguinius and Melancholicus and Michel Richard Delalande emerges as a figure who turned to music when faced with mental trials both great and small.

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    "[URL="https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w3j5"]Michel Richard Delalande emerges as a figure who turned to music when faced with mental trials both great and small.​
    In Grove (1980) Lalande, Michel-Richard de: it will be interesting to see how they support the view that he 'turned to music when faced with mental trials' and link this to mental health. Two daughters died of small pox (in their mid twenties); and he lost his wife of almost 40 years but remarried the following year, and they had a daughter. He died 3 years later, aged 69.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      In Grove (1980) Lalande, Michel-Richard de: it will be interesting to see how they support the view that he 'turned to music when faced with mental trials' and link this to mental health. Two daughters died of small pox (in their mid twenties); and he lost his wife of almost 40 years but remarried the following year, and they had a daughter. He died 3 years later, aged 69.
      Thanks French Frank. I can't remember what HF said in the programme, but I'll listen out for it.

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      This is a lovely disc from Andreas Staier exploring the same theme.
      Many thanks for the recommendation. Here are the Amazon UK & Presto links.

Comment

Coincidentally, I've just been listening to Handel's

'Come rather Goddess sage and holy;
        Hail divinest Melancholy!'

(from L'Allegro ed il Penseroso).

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          You were right French Frank - before the Dies Irae, HF mentions his two daughters dying of small pox, in 1711, and how he bonded more closely with the king, who had also lost his son, the Dauphin. Rejection by Lully as a violinist seems less devastating by comparison.

The BBC webpage cleared my meloncholia - I misread assuage.
          Johann Kuhnau's Biblical Sonata No.2 "The Melancholy of Saul sausaged by means of music"​

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
            You were right French Frank - before the Dies Irae, HF mentions his two daughters dying of small pox, in 1711, and how he bonded more closely with the king, who had also lost his son, the Dauphin. Rejection by Lully as a violinist seems less devastating by comparison.

The BBC webpage cleared my meloncholia - I misread assuage.
            Johann Kuhnau's Biblical Sonata No.2 "The Melancholy of Saul sausaged by means of music"​
            Going from bad to wurst?

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Going from bad to wurst?

Comment

Working...
              X