ORF Ö1 - Internationale Barocktage Stift Melk 2024 - Missa Papae Marcelli ***LIVE***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

ORF Ö1 - Internationale Barocktage Stift Melk 2024 - Missa Papae Marcelli ***LIVE***

Here's a novelty, a LIVE concert that actually was!
    Radio 3, are you listening? Live means live, not pre-recorded in front of a, possibly, living audience. Weasel words butter no parsnips.

Broadcast on Monday on ORF O1 and available for 4 weeks - the music starts ~8:20 in.
    Company of Music, Leitung: Johannes Hiemtesberger. Collegium Musicum der Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien - mdw, Leitung: Johannes Weiss. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina: "Missa ...

Here's the programme page (via the PDF from this link; translation by DeepL - thanks MickyD)

"Missa Papae Marcelli
    OR THE INCOMPREHENSIBILITY OF WORDS
    We are in 16th century Trent: the council there is planning to ban complicated, polyphonic church music. However, Palestrina's 'Missa Papae Marcelli' succeeds in averting this plan with its beauty and simplicity, so the legend goes. Anyone who now has the opportunity to listen to this work in Melk's collegiate church will be convinced of the sublimity of this rarely performed mass, whose music radiates purity and at the same time is technically perfectly balanced in its polyphony. Johanna Doderer builds a bridge to this with the world premiere of a work commissioned by the Baroque Days, which is inspired by the sounds of the night. Interspersed between the individual parts of the mass are virtuoso diminutions - instrumental arrangements of Palestrina's compositions - which, in harmony with the vocal parts, complete the evening.
    "

• mopsus
    • Nov 2010

I am a little surprised to see the Mass described as 'rarely performed'. While not as popular as his Missa Brevis, I think it still turns up on Cathedral music lists here quite frequently - perhaps the picture is different in Austria. (Although now I think about it, I've tended to come across it conducted by students reading Music who've been studying it in their counterpoint classes.)
    Last edited by mopsus; 22-05-24, 16:31.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I visited Melk Abbey more than sixty years ago. As we came down a staircase into the chapel, a wedding was coming to an end and the organist was (as far as I can now recall) improvising. The combination of the organ and the stunning baroque decoration was a real knockout moment, never to be forgotten.

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
        I am a little surprised to see the Mass described as 'rarely performed'. While not as popular as his Missa Brevis, I think it still turns up on Cathedral music lists here quite frequently
        Correct.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

It would have to be pretty special for me to want to fork out €74 for a (top-price, admittedly) seat.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            It would have to be pretty special for me to want to fork out €74 for a (top-price, admittedly) seat.
            There was bread & wine afterwards...

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
              There was bread & wine afterwards...
              You mean it was more like a liturgical performance?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                You mean it was more like a liturgical performance?

I think we were only offered tea after a concert at Abbey Dore.

Comment

Working...
                X