• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Bach, On This Day: EMS 27 December

Lucie Skeaping introduces music written for this day by J.S. Bach - music composed for the 27th December, the Third Day of Christmas and the First Sunday after Christmas - including the six-voice Santus composed for the Christmas service in 1724, during second year of Bach's tenure in Leipzig, which eventually became part of the B minor Mass; music from the Christmas Oratorio; and Cantatas BWV 122, Das neugeborne Kindelein (The new-born little babe), and BWV 133, Ich freue mich in dir (I find my joy in thee).
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Lucie Skeaping introduces music written for this day by J.S. Bach - music composed for the 27th December, the Third Day of Christmas and the First Sunday after Christmas - including the six-voice Santus composed for the Christmas service in 1724, during second year of Bach's tenure in Leipzig, which eventually became part of the B minor Mass; music from the Christmas Oratorio; and Cantatas BWV 122, Das neugeborne Kindelein (The new-born little babe), and BWV 133, Ich freue mich in dir (I find my joy in thee).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06swx2z
    Wot - not two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Interesting that at least three examples Lucy played were in minor keys. Maybe JSB was a bit hung over by the 27th?
      Nonetheless I enjoyed the programme very much, especially for the snippets of contextual info. My only niggle was the RIDICULOUS speed of the sop/bass duet in The Christmas Oratorio (in translation, 'Lord thy mercy').
      Last edited by ardcarp; 28-12-15, 11:21.

Comment

Working...
      X