• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Marian Consort: EML 28 February

Elin Manahan Thomas introduces sacred music by William Byrd (including movements from his Mass for 4 voices), plus works by Strogers, Gerarde, Mundy and Peerson, performed by the Marian Consort in the Pfarrkirche St Severus in Boppard, as part of the 2015 RheinVokal Festival.
    The Marian Consort
    Rory McCleery (director).
    Sacred music by Byrd and others performed by the Marian Consort at the RheinVokal Festival

I thought they were very good when they performed live in Early Music Show. I am looking forward to hearing them again.
    Witht heplaylist
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Agreed. Excellent ensemble.
    Pity they don't feature on the R3 prog 'The Choir' as well?

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Very much enjoyed the programme. I find some of the more established ensembles so polished that they sound almost disembodied but The Marian Consort sounded to me very earthly (nor earthy) and humane.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Just LA-ed the concert. An excellent small ensemble...as you say a little more expressive, than, say, Stile Antico. Much of Byrd's music (we are told) was probably performed by small-ish (recusant?) groups. Just occasionally I long for a 'choral' sound though.
        Last edited by ardcarp; 02-03-16, 09:29.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          ...Much of Byrd's music (we are told) was probably performed by small-ish (recusant?) groups...
          Possibly even with women - yes, I thought of that as I listened!

The Essay on the Byrd 4 at 10.45 this evening.

Comment

Working...
          X