Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Francesca Caccini's La liberazione di Ruggiero: EMS 6 March

Francesca Caccini's La liberazione di Ruggiero dall'isola di Alcina was the first opera by a woman. In the week of International Women's Day, Lucie Skeaping introduces highlights of a performance recorded live at last year's Brighton Early Music Festival, and is joined in the studio by musical director Deborah Roberts.

The Liberation Singers
    The BREMF Renaissance Players
    Deborah Roberts (musical director)

Highlights of Francesca Caccini's opera La liberazione di Ruggiero dall'isola di Alcina.

There really are signs that they're delving a bit deeper to find new composers and works for this year's IWD (if not across quite the entire chronological spectrum - as some have pointed out).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Btw, Grove says La liberazione was the first Italian opera to be performed outside Italy - in Warsaw in 1682. That surprised me.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

If you’d like a compare and contrast

Through the Night: Tuesday 8th
        5:37 AM
        Caccini, Francesca [1587-1640]
        Excerpts from Act One of La Liberazione di Ruggiero
        Suzie Le Blanc (Alcina, soprano), Barbara Borden (Sirena, soprano), Dorothee Mields (Il Pastore, soprano), Christian Hilz (Ruggiero, baritone), Tragicomedia, Stephen Stubbs (director)
        On International Women's Day, Catriona Young presents music by women through the ages.

Useful reference including a translation of the libretto.

Why is Monteverdi’s (correction) Orfeo always referred to as the first opera?
        Last edited by doversoul1; 06-03-16, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Btw, Grove says La liberazione was the first Italian opera to be performed outside Italy - in Warsaw in 1682. That surprised me.
          That it ws the first, or that it was in Warsaw?

On the first point, it's easy to forget that the women composers we've been at pains to rediscover were actually quite celebrated in their own time.

On the second, it's easy to forget how cosmopolitan Poland was, before it was swallowed u pand disappeared entirely for a century or so!.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            That it ws the first, or that it was in Warsaw?
            First Italian opera Punkt - is what Grove said. I just added the place and date for interest.

Caccini was certainly celebrated and multi-talented.

Comment

First Italian opera Punkt
              Cavalli's Ercole amante was performed in Paris in 1662 so I don't know where Grove got that idea from.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                Why is Monteverdi’s Poppea always referred to as the first opera?
                Is it? By whom?

Jacopo Peri's Dafne was the first opera, but since it is lost, the honor goes to Peri and Caccini's joint effort, Euridice, an excellent new edition of which was used for the Woodend Winter Arts Festival performance in 2014. (Woodend is in Victoria, Australia.) I listened to a replay of that performance and thought it was very good indeed, especially the apparent standard of the edition.

In 2014, Woodend Winter Arts Festival presents the world's first extant opera, Euridice. John O'Donnell talks about this opera in this video.

John O'Donnell's edition is not published, sadly, although, as he mentions in the VT above, the original material is readily available. The only other modern edition I have seen is on imslp and it quite appalling. I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been done at The Globe, but the dearth of decent scholarship (any!) for this work is scanty. There is a recording of it You Tube of some European group - it's pretty poor.

Then came Monteverdi's Orfeo!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-03-16, 21:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  Cavalli's Ercole amante was performed in Paris in 1662 so I don't know where Grove got that idea from.
                  Well, as I said - it surprised me!

Add: I am still using my hard copy 1980 edition of Grove, as our library has discontinued its subscription: this point may since have been amended.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevilevelis View Post
                    Is it? By whom?

Jacopo Peri's Dafne was the first opera, but since it is lost, the honor goes to Peri and Caccini's joint effort, Euridice, an excellent new edition of which was used for the Woodend Winter Arts Festival performance in 2014. (Woodend is in Victoria, Australia.) I listened to a replay of that performance and thought it was very good indeed, especially the apparent standard of the edition.

In 2014, Woodend Winter Arts Festival presents the world's first extant opera, Euridice. John O'Donnell talks about this opera in this video.

John O'Donnell's edition is not published, sadly, although, as he mentions in the VT above, the original material is readily available. The only other modern edition I have seen is on imslp and it quite appalling. I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been done at The Globe, but the dearth of decent scholarship (any!) for this work is scanty. There is a recording of it You Tube of some European group - it's pretty poor.

Then came Monteverdi's Orfeo!
                    Apologies. Too much hedge cutting. My brain wasn’t working. I meant Orfeo. Duly corrected.
                    By whom? Well, Antonio Pappano said that in his opera programme on BBC4 some years ago, and doesn’t it often come with the tug?

Many thanks for the information on Euridice, especially the youtube link.

Euridice: is this the recording you heard?
                    Caccini, G: Euridice. Naive: OP30552. Buy download online. Silvia Frigato (Euridice, La Tragedia), Furio Zanasi (Orfeo), Giampaolo Fagotto (Arcetro), Luca Dordolo (Tirsi, Aminta), Sara Mingardo (Dafne, Proserpina), Monica Piccinini (Venere), Antonio Abete (Plutone), Matteo Bellotto (Radamanto) & Mauro Borgioni (Caronte) Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo...

Incidentally, this Dafne by Marco da Gagliano is pretty early (First performance: 1608)
                    An opera by the early baroque master Marco da Gagliano.

As for the broadcast;
                    I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought singing and instrumental playing were both excellent. I hope Radio 3 will broadcast it in full one day. Here are a couple of visual aids.

Brighton early music festival’s saucy production of Francesca Caccini’s 1625 opera is full of fun, well cast and beautifully sung

A few seconds from approx. 1.40
                    Relive your favourite moments from the events we put on as part of Brighton Early Music Festival 2015.
                    Last edited by doversoul1; 06-03-16, 22:35.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                      By whom? Well, Antonio Pappano said that on his opera programme on BBC4 some years ago, and doesn’t it often come with the tug?
                      Yes, I recall him saying that! I winced when I heard it. I suppose he means the first great opera (with arias; the Peri is mostly recit.) by a great composer...

I shall have a word with him tomorrow! On second thoughts, perhaps not!

Thanks for the links to the Caccini. Peri's work is actually a separate entity, I think, but for many years quite a bit of Caccini was interpolated, hence the notion that it was a joint effort. Looking at the original editions on imslp, they do appear to be separate works. Oh, for the time to investigate! http://javanese.imslp.info/files/img...i_Euridice.pdf

Cheers,

NVV

Comment

Current Grove (online) includes this sentence: "Only one opera by Caccini survives, La liberazione di Ruggiero dall’isola d’Alcina, first performed in Florence for the visit of Prince Władisław of Poland during Carnival 1625. (A performance in Warsaw in 1628 has been incorrectly considered the first known operatic production outside Italy.) "

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          Current Grove (online) includes this sentence: "Only one opera by Caccini survives, La liberazione di Ruggiero dall’isola d’Alcina, first performed in Florence for the visit of Prince Władisław of Poland during Carnival 1625. (A performance in Warsaw in 1628 has been incorrectly considered the first known operatic production outside Italy.) "
                          That's more like it - though it sent me scurrying back to my Grove to check whether I'd been suffering from a form of numerical metathesis. Not me, but someone (in fairness, it did specify the first Italian opera), so presumably a typo:

Comment

Working...
                          X