• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Mannheim School: EMS 17 April

Lucie Skeaping looks at some of the music penned at the court of Mannheim in the latter half of the 18th Century, which had such a thriving and influential orchestra. Composers such as Johann Stamitz, Franz Xaver Richter, Christian Cannabich, Carl Stamitz and Franz Danzi really took the symphonic genre by the horns, helped to shape it into what we now think of as the Classical symphony, and as such, were a huge influence on the likes of Mozart and Haydn.
    Lucie Skeaping features composers active at the court of Mannheim in the late 18th century

Never mind Mozart and Haydn, this is excellent music as it is.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

My very thoughts.

("By the horns"?)

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

I'm proud to say that I have something of every one of those composers in my collection! It's my favourite period of music, and I never fail to be amazed and delighted at just how much unknown repertoire from it continues to be unearthed.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Heard the programme during a long car journey. Loved it. Learned a lot. Stamitz (the elder) was the only one I remembered/knew by name. (I'm sure I would have remembered Cannabich!) Loved the clarinet duo by Tausch.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Delightful music from beginning to end with unobtrusively informative presentation. Yet another excellent programme.

Comment

Working...
          X