Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thomas Dunford and Anna Reinhold: EML 6 August

Soprano Anna Reinhold and lutenist Thomas Dunford perform music from 17th-century Italy, including songs by Strozzi, Monteverdi, Frescobaldi, Caccini and Merula, and lute solos by Kapsberger.

Presented by Elin Manahan Thomas

Strozzi: L'eraclito amoroso
    Kapsberger: Toccatas Nos 3 & 6 from 'Libro I d'intavolatura di lauto'
    Monteverdi: La lettera amorosa
    Kapsberger: Toccata No 2 from 'Libro I d'intavolatura di lauto'
    Frescobaldi: Così mi disprezzate
    Kapsberger: Toccata No 5 from 'Libro I d'intavolatura di lauto'
    Caccini: Amarilli mia bella
    Merula: Canzone spirituale sopra la nina nana

Anna Reinhold (mezzo-soprano)
    Thomas Dunford (archlute)
    Concert recorded on 17 January 2016 at the Temple, Montagny-près-Yverdon
    Soprano Anna Reinhold and lutenist Thomas Dunford perform music from 17th-century Italy.

MORE TREAT!!

Anna Reinhold was slightly over-dramatic to my taste but Thomas Dunford’s Kapsberger was (were) truly sublime.

Comment

Kapsberger - triffic stuff. I've got lots of his music on CD, played by Jakob Lindberg and Paul O'Dette (including this CD )

and I saw Lindberg playing a selection on the chittarone in Oxford a few years ago, as per this CD

Who's the bloke in the picture with Elin Manahan Thomas?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Who's the bloke in the picture with Elin Manahan Thomas?
        Simon Heighes. He reinvented himself (appearance-wisw) awhile ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Kapsberger - triffic stuff. I've got lots of his music on CD, played by Jakob Lindberg and Paul O'Dette (including this CD )

It really is. I am listening to this now
          Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger (1580-1651)1. Toccata arpeggiata Chitarrone 0:002. Gagliarda 11a Chitarrone 2:553. Toccata 5a Chitarrone 4:18 4. Aria di Fior...

[ed.] Just found this. A new name to me (I think. Not very familiar). Played by Nigel North

Robert Johnson Lute Works
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Last edited by doversoul1; 11-08-17, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
            [ed.] Just found this. A new name to me (I think. Not very familiar). Played by Nigel North

Robert Johnson Lute Works
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmOwvmpN-U
            This is off an excellent Naxos CD 8572178 (The Prince's Almain and other Dances for Lute)

Robert (1583-1633) was the son of John Johnson (c.1550-1594), who was Dowland's contemporary and (to Dowland's chagrin) Queen Elizabeth's favourite lutenist. Robert was thus contemporary with Dowland's son (also Robert) who put together the Varietie of Lute Lessons (the subject of another great Nigel North CD, on Linn CKD097 ) by various composers including of course his father John Dowland. Naxos excel at lute and guitar recordings, produced by the team of Norbert Kraft and Bonnie Silver. There's a lovely CD of John Johnson (solos and duets (Naxos 8.550776) performed by Christopher Wilson and Shirley Rumsey.

Comment

Working...
            X