No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicholas Mulroy Sings Nicholas Lanier: EMS 10 September

A Drop of Amber Varnish

Lucie Skeaping presents highlights of a concert recorded at this year's York Early Music Festival, given by tenor Nicholas Mulroy, harpist Frances Kelly and lutenist Paula Chateauneuf. The concert explores the life and music of Nicholas Lanier - "a very ingenious vertuoso". Lanier was appointed the first ever Master of the King's Musick in 1625, but he was also an art connoisseur, sent by Charles I to Italy to buy paintings and recruit Italian artists for the English court. He returned not only with knowledge of the latest developments in Italian music, but having met and befriended the brilliant Artemisia Gentileschi, the first ever professional woman painter. She also revealed to him how she achieved the unique luminosity in her paintings: a mixture of walnut oil and a single drop of amber varnish - a substance also used to coat the bodies of lutes at that time.

Lovely songs wonderfully performed and in-between the music, most interesting stories about how Charles I (I's?) Master of Music went about dealing and buying paintings in Italy, and more, for example, Nicholas Lanier was the first composer to write something akin to recitative in English.

Comment

Just caught up with this. Nicholas Mulroy is a joy to listen to...a lovely 'natural' voice used in an unforced way and so appropriate to this music. And Lanier was quite a guy too.

Comment

Nicholas Mulroy was a chorister at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, and he will be singing the Evangelist in the St John Passion for Philip Duffy's Liverpool Bach Collective on March 10th next year.

If you're within reach of Liverpool, don't miss it!

Comment

Thanks Jean. Can you flag it up again a bit nearer the time?

Comment

Working...
          X