No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handel’s Rinaldo: Opera Matinee Thursday 5 October

Just started
    Penny Gore presents a recording of Handel's Rinaldo conducted by Christopher Hogwood.
    Christopher Hogwood

Penny Gore presents a recording of Handel's Rinaldo conducted by Christopher Hogwood.

It’s great to hear Christopher Hogwood conducting a Handel’s opera but this is a recording from 2010 (I think). I thought this slot was for Afternoon Concert, which I assumed to be recordings of live performances. Whilst for some odd reasons, there are very few full recordings (CDs) of Rinaldo, if youtube is anything to go by, there are quite few staged performances. It is a pity that Radio 3 couldn’t find one that could be broadcast.

If this is the well-known Decca recording, then the recording date is some ten years earlier, ds - back in 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      If this is the well-known Decca recording, then the recording date is some ten years earlier, ds - back in 2000.
      It must be the same.
      Handel: Rinaldo. Decca: 4670872. Buy download online. Cecilia Bartoli (Almirena), David Daniels (Rinaldo), Bernarda Fink (Goffredo), Gerald Finley (Argante), Luba Orgonasova (Armida), Daniel Taylor (Eustazio), Bejun Mehta (A Christian Magician) Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood

I was misguided by the reviews on Presto Classical site but it also says Gramophone Awards 2001.

Comment

Found myself in the middle of this broadcast when I switched on the car radio. Good job I was wearing a seat belt - it nearly lifted me out of my seat! Terrific stuff - much better in the theatre of the mind than the school playgrounds/ bicycles production I saw in 2011
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          These forces did a live performance at the Barbican which I was at. Maybe the broadcast was of that? (Can't remember if there were microphones in the hall).
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

This afternoon's broadcast was of the CDs, I am pretty damned sure. No applause, and not even one cough did I hear. All part of the 7 opera tie-in with the V & A. Guess they could not be bothered to seek out a recording of a live performance they could use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              This afternoon's broadcast was of the CDs, I am pretty damned sure. No applause, and not even one cough did I hear. All part of the 7 opera tie-in with the V & A. Guess they could not be bothered to seek out a recording of a live performance they could use.
              I think the broadcast is of the CD. There was no applause at the end of the acts and also, Penny Gore would have mention the performance details (the date, the venue) if it had been a live recording.

A review of the performance at the Barbican 17 November 1999

Two decades since the performance/recording. Interesting to compare the sound of the orchestra with Lucio Cornelio Silla broadcast last week.

Bryn has got in first.

they could not be bothered to seek out a recording of a live performance they could use
              This was my original complaint.

Comment

Last week there was the Sutherland/Pavarotti La Fille du Regiment.

Then again if we have the Furtwangler Tristan next week who would complain ?
                Last edited by Barbirollians; 06-10-17, 00:58.

Comment

The point of my complaint is that this programme, Afternoon on 3, is meant to be (so I have understood) a broadcast of live (recorded live) performances. (ed. Hopefully, if possible) Something we can't buy from Amazon.
                  Last edited by doversoul1; 06-10-17, 00:03.

Comment

I think Opera Matinee is being treated differently to the concerts though of course Afternoon on 3 has been renamed Afternoon Concert hence perhaps this also gives them the liberty to use recordings .

Next week is Manon Lescaut with Kaufmann , Opolais conducted by Pappano from the recent ROH revival which is very good . As I recall that was broadcast live on Radio 3 so it could be a concert recording or them playing the DVD soundtrack !

Comment

Working...
                    X