Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trumpets on Sun 19th Jan EMS

Simon Desbruslais explores some early examples of trumpets in Oxford's Bate Collection.

Sounds fun...and probably not a valve in sight. Hope Crispian Steele Perkins appears somewhere in the playlist.

More about The Bate Collection here:

A few brass instruments are to be seen in the background of the top picture.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 15-01-20, 18:28.

My brain didn't immediately process this as Sunday...What it did come up with was quite entertaining though.

Comment

An excellent programme; interesting,informative and engaging. Simon Desbruslais is both enthusiastic and articulate, and covered a great deal of ground, and the music was well chosen to illustrate his points. I now know more about trumpets in the Bach Magnificat video that was flagged up on the All of Bach thread a few weeks ago and which had had me somewhat puzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        An excellent programme; interesting,informative and engaging. Simon Desbruslais is both enthusiastic and articulate, and covered a great deal of ground, and the music was well chosen to illustrate his points. I now know more about trumpets in the Bach Magnificat video that was flagged up on the All of Bach thread a few weeks ago and which had had me somewhat puzzled.

Agreed wholeheartedly, I only caught about half this but shall make a point of listening to the rest
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Completely OT, and I do apologise, but this will bug me if I don't mention it now ...

Layla Moran, MP for Oxford West & Abingdon, and Hannah French, presenter of the EMS:

... has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Er, back to the programme itself. Definitely very informative about early trumpet technology (or lack of it) but I would have liked longer extracts of music. I suppose it's difficult to strike a balance, but for my taste there was a rather low music:talk ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Er, back to the programme itself. Definitely very informative about early trumpet technology (or lack of it) but I would have liked longer extracts of music. I suppose it's difficult to strike a balance, but for my taste there was a rather low music:talk ratio.
              This isn't an uncommon situation where, good as a programme is, one can see that there would be scope for a second or longer programme. Ideally yes there would have been more music, if only(in my case) to give time for the brain to absorb the information being presented, but better to have had the less than ideal than nothing at all.

Comment

Agree absolutely.

Comment

As with most of my listening, I am hearing this programme on catch-up. "My listening" on BBC Sounds offered me a 35 min version from 12/2 and 60 minute version from 19/2. I have listened sequentially to these items, and the later 60 min version seems to replicate the shorter version, but with longer musical excerpts. Is that they case, and if so, what is the point of that? Is the 12/2 episode another victim of the great unleashed?

OG

P.S. Forgot (during the course of my rant) to say what an excellent programme this was.
                  Last edited by Old Grumpy; 09-02-20, 21:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    As with most of my listening, I am hearing this programme on catch-up. "My listening" on BBC Sounds offered me a 35 min version from 12/2 and 60 minute version from 19/2. I have listened sequentially to these items, and the later 60 min version seems to replicate the shorter version, but with longer musical excerpts. Is that they case, and if so, what is the point of that? Is the 12/2 episode another victim of the great unleashed?

OG

P.S. Forgot (during the course of my rant) to say what an excellent programme this was.
                    OK, looks like it may be a bug in the Sounds app. I see from the listings that EMS 12/2 was "Agricola". I have already listened to this on BBC Sounds. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

More haste, less speed and all that.

OG

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Completely OT, and I do apologise, but this will bug me if I don't mention it now ...

Layla Moran, MP for Oxford West & Abingdon, and Hannah French, presenter of the EMS:

... has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time?
                      I see that you occasionally get your spake in, ferney, but never OTT! In fact, one of the photos you posted was already in circulation. Glad to have caught you this time. atb

Comment

Working...
                      X