Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handel on the Harp - EM Now 2nd March

Czech period instrument group, Ensemble 18+, perform the overture to Handel's Messiah, his Harp Concerto in B flat, with soloist Kateřina Englichová, and CPE Bach's Sinfonia in C.

Not sure I know (or even know of) the Harp Concerto. I wonder if it has bits lifted from elsewhere? We shall see.

PS OMG I've played it but in another guise. Guesses anyone?
    Last edited by ardcarp; 01-03-20, 23:48. Reason: Afterthought.

It's a delightful piece, transcribed from one of the Op.4 organ concerti, and was inserted as interval music in "Alexander's Feast".

Andrew Lawrence-King plays it on this excellent complete recording from Harry Christophers:

Comment

There's another good recording of it on an interesting, varied and very well-filled 3CD Vox Box which I acquired a few years ago. A 1964 recording from the excellent Marie-Claire Jamet with the Paul Kuentz Chamber Orchestra.

Comment

My first ever Harp Concerto at a Bournemouth Municipal Orchestra's Schools' Concert over 60 years ago. I suspect that we were given only the first movement.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm confused about who transcribed it. For instance, any of these?

Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.

If Handel himself had a go, it makes me wonder what sort of harp was around in the 18th century. It surely needs a fully chromatic instrument to play it?

I'm not relying on EM Now to give us the info.

Comment

I just saw this ad for the Albert Hall in the latest Jazz In London listings:

Alina Hip Harp - Elgar Room: 12 March

Comment

I rather liked the first rendition on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2t2rPiIiKQ . What follows it is best avoided in my view...
              As to transcription or otherwise this https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dw.asp?dc=W192_67291 suggests not.

Comment

I'm now utterly fascinated. So it began life as a harp piece. Does anyone here have knowledge of what sort of harp was available to Handel? If the harp were tuned to a diatonic scale of B flat, how did the player produce (for instance) an E natural when modulating to the Dominant key?

Early harps (such as the Welsh or Breton harp) only played within the mode they were tuned to. There were various attempts to produce a harp capable of chromatic notes, including the 'double harp' which had two courses of strings which corresponded to the black and white notes of a keyboard. The snag was that you could only really play the 'white notes' with one hand and the 'black notes' with the other. The modern 7-pedal harp solves all the problems, and is capable of prodigious feats (feet?) and is the standard modern concert harp, as being used in Odders' examples above.

So I'd love to know what the harp was like in Mr Handel's day. Anyone?
                Last edited by ardcarp; 03-03-20, 00:01. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  I'm now utterly fascinated. So it began life as a harp piece. Does anyone here have knowledge of what sort of harp was available to Handel? If the harp were tuned to a diatonic scale of B flat, how did the player produce (for instance) an E natural when modulating to the Dominant key?

Early harps (such as the Welsh or Breton harp) only played within the mode they were tuned to. There were various attempts to produce a harp capable of chromatic notes, including the 'double harp' which had two courses of strings which corresponded to the black and white notes of a keyboard. The snag was that you could only really play the 'white notes' with one hand and the 'black notes' with the other. The modern 7-pedal harp solves all the problems, and is capable of prodigious feats (feet?) and is the standard modern concert harp, as being used in Odders' examples above.

Don't forget the Playerl harp, which was fully chromatic, all notes being available to both hands. The snag was that, as each note had its own string, it took about three weeks to tune.
                  My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

Frances Kelly has, I think, also recorded the piece on an authentic instrument. Here she demonstrates Mozart's single action pedal harp, which is probably not too far from that of Handel's. Hope it's of interest.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thanks Miles and Micky D. I had forgotten about the Pleyel, but never knew about the 'Mozart-style' harp which Frances Kelly so ably demonstrates. I guess Handel must have had something similar.

PS Good University Challenge question. Which instrument is traditionally tuned using a C flat tuning fork? (I've lately seen harpists resorting to an electrocic gadget.)

Comment

Working...
                      X