Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gesualdo Six - EMS Sunday 8th August

Owain Park conducts The Gesualdo Six in a concert of English motets at the York Early Music Festival, including works by Thomas Tallis, William Byrd, Thomas Tomkins, John Sheppard, Thomas Weelkes, Robert White and Christopher Tye.

The Gesualdo Six perform English motets at the York Early Music Festival.

Should be good. No Gesualdo though.....

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Owain Park conducts The Gesualdo Six in a concert of English motets at the York Early Music Festival, including works by Thomas Tallis, William Byrd, Thomas Tomkins, John Sheppard, Thomas Weelkes, Robert White and Christopher Tye.

The Gesualdo Six perform English motets at the York Early Music Festival.

Should be good. No Gesualdo though.....
    Personally, I’m happy about that.

Enjoying this programme hugely. It’s going to get a few repeat listens.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I enjoyed it too. I had two slight reservations, which I voice without any criticism of this fine ensemble. One is that they included many well-known Byrd, Tallis and Tomkins pieces. Nothing wrong with that, but surely the York EMF offers an opportunity to break out of familiar Anglican cathedral repertoire...which they did with a few pieces. For instance, the John Forest Song of Solomon setting which was sometimes two-part, sometimes 3, was a novelty, and especially beautiful, I thought.
      My other reservation is that the group, whilst concentrating on a balanced and blended ensemble, didn't allow enough...for want of a better word...expression, e.g. in When David Heard, though a rather good tenor member of the group was trying! Tempi generally rather slow, though the group came to life in the Weelkes O People Clap and the Byrd Laudate. For those who don't know about the Gesualdo Six, there are no sopranos, so a countertenor is on top all the time (apart from one piece) which is, for him, quite a feat of concentration and tuning. Just as in concerts given by the Hilliard Ensemble years ago, I did find that configuration a bit tiring on the ear, great though the countertenor was. Just one of my 'things'!

Comment

Working...
      X