Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy Fawkes on EMS

Well he did have a connection with the Catholic musical family in this programme.

Music associated with the household of West Horsley Place in Surrey in the 16th century.

A really lovely selection of lute music, songs and a violin (yes, violin) consort.

Lutenist Paula Chateauneuf and historian Clare Clinton reflect on the history and music associated with the household of West Horsley Place in Surrey during the 16th and 17th Centuries, with intriguing links to King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Walter Raleigh and even Guy Fawkes!

The programme explores the Golden Age of English lute music, and includes pieces by John Dowland, Robert Johnson, Daniel Batchelar, Robert Jones, John Coprario, Richard Allison and Thomas Morley.

Presented by Lucie Skeaping in conversation with historian Clare Clinton, lutenist Paula Chateauneuf and Isabel Dawson of the Investec International Music Festival.

I very much enjoyed the programme...but with one niggle. They fade in musical items while the talking is still going on. Grrrr.

Not live though.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      ...but with one niggle. They fade in musical items while the talking is still going on. Grrrr.
      It's become a definite policy: on Classical Fix and This Classical Life too. It's obviously done with some aim in view but I don't understand the thinking behind it.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This Classical Life too.
        Even worse...much worse...on that. They talk over the music the whole time!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          It's become a definite policy: on Classical Fix and This Classical Life too. It's obviously done with some aim in view but I don't understand the thinking behind it.
          To turn good music into Musak that was never intended for that purpose is the simple answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            To turn good music into Musak that was never intended for that purpose is the simple answer.
            On thinking about it, I suppose it's deliberately treating classical music like any other kind of music, and doing away with the so-called 'reverence' which 'dictates' that people should sit and listen quietly to an entire piece, which quite unreasonably, and thoughtlessly, can sometimes be as much as 10 minutes long.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I really enjoyed that EMS - but you're right about the talking-over being annoying.

Radio 4's "Dead Ringers" used to parody R3 with "Quiet, isn't it?"...

Comment

Working...
              X