Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMS Fear and Terror in the 18th Century

Another interesting Early Music Show & a good choice of pieces.
    I thought Dr Clive McClelland was an excellent speaker, ditto Dr Hannah French.
    Fear and Terror in the 18th Century

It’s that time of year isn’t it? Spooks and surprises lurking round every corner...In today’s Early Music Show, Hannah French is joined by Dr Clive McClelland of the University of Leeds to explore how 17th & 18th Century composers really frightened their audiences.
    Hide behind the sofa and cover your eyes with a cushion to protect yourself from scary music by Gluck, Handel, Cavalli, Rameau, Marais, Purcell, Locke, Haydn and Mozart.
    I enjoyed HF's twitter photos (below), but her subsequent tweet was a bit alarming:
    Hannah French @hannahcfrench
    Not quite where I thought I’d be trick or treating, but Finchley Memorial Hospital did look a bit spooky with most of the lights off!
    Thank you @NHSEnglandLDN, this was another shining example of the NHS at its best. #allfinenow

Didn't Rebel's Les Éléments get in there anywhere....?
    Nothing from Rameau's spell-casting Zoroastre?

Comment

Not that I heard - Rameau had Les vents from Les Boréades. Rebel was without a cause (but was in last week's "Fire")

There was a bit of Michael Jackson's Thriller played over the announcement & start of EMS - perhaps to tempt the youthful?

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Didn't Rebel's Les Éléments get in there anywhere....?
        Le Chaos, especially the opening? Yes!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Not that I heard - Rameau had Les vents from Les Boréades. Rebel was without a cause (but was in last week's "Fire")

There was a bit of Michael Jackson's Thriller played over the announcement & start of EMS - perhaps to tempt the youthful?
          "You try to scream
          But terror takes the sound before you make it!"

Such is Life 2021..... Par for the Course, par for the course, as Uncle Mort used to say....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Such is Life 2021..... Par for the Course, par for the course, as Uncle Mort used to say....
            In Stephen Thorne's much-missed voice?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Le Chaos, especially the opening? Yes!
              Any particular version? The Archiv Musica Antiqua Köln / Goebel is to hand...

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                Any particular version? The Archiv Musica Antiqua Köln / Goebel is to hand...
                Yes, that's the one for me. Though Youtube has a harpsichord version too.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Gluck's Dance of the Furies gets a terrifying big band performance in the vintage 80s Hogwood/AAM recording...sends shivers up my spine!

Comment

Working...
                  X