• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Telemann in Poland EMS 20.2.22

Polish folk tunes and their influence on the music of Georg Philipp Telemann.

For just under a year, from 1705, Telemann was employed by Count Erdmann II of Promnitz in northern Poland. His tenure was cut dramatically short by developments in the Great Northern War, but during his time in Zary and Silesia, the composer came into contact with Polish folk music, which influenced him for the rest of his career.

When travelling through Poland with his employer, Telemann would often stop at taverns for refreshment or accommodation, and there he heard Polish gypsies improvising on fiddles, bagpipes and hurdy-gurdies - a music which is thought to have its roots on the Indian subcontinent.

Lucie Skeaping explores some of those original melodies in recordings from Ensemble Caprice, alongside some of the pieces Telemann composed with those Polish influences very much at the forefront of his mind.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I have some Telemann recordings that really emphasize his adaptations of Polish tunes. Great stuff.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

The Polish connection was a blind spot for me before this programme. Thanks EMS.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Thank you for flagging this up - Reinhard Goebel's performances are number one for me in Telemann!

Comment

• RichardB
          Banned
          • Nov 2021

Something I recently discovered is a set of "Polnische Tänze" by Telemann (TWV45:1-30), in the form of a live recording by a Polish folk ensemble "Orkiestra Czasów Zarazy" (bagpipes and all), which show this material in a much more "raw" form than is heard in his better known compositions. I guess this is the kind of thing LS was talking about in her programme.

edit: I've just looked up the Ensemble Caprice CD and it doesn't contain any of these pieces!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

I didn't hear the programme but have a Channel Classics disc from Holland Baroque Society joined by Slovakian folk/classical violinist, Miloš Valent and Czech cimbalom and recorder player, Jan Rokyta. It ingeniously combines Telemann's own music with dance music from Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary that Telemann would be likely to have known into eight newly imagined suites. An enterprising and entertaining one-off.

Comment

Working...
            X