Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period instrument Grieg

I came across this today - the Piano Concerto on a period piano with the Orchestra of the 18th century. A radio broadcast but later released on CD by the Chopin Institut. An interesting take on this old warhorse!

Alexey Zuev - Erard 1849 pianoOrchestra of the 18th CenturyKenneth Montgomery - conductorLive in Warsaw, 29 August 2014Transmitted by BR-KlassikThis is NOT t...

I was due to go on a Norwegian cruise, but it was cancelled due to lockdown.

One the highlights booked was to have been a recital on Grieg’s own piano.

One day, perhaps…

Comment

You may want to try Heidi Kommerell's MDG recording on MDG -- a selection of Lyric Pieces, she plays a Streicher.

Comment

Didn't Andsnes issue a recording made on Grieg's Steinway?

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Didn't Andsnes issue a recording made on Grieg's Steinway?
          Yes, he did, for EMI. I have that and though I enjoyed the Piano Concerto in the recording above, I wonder if it is very authentic to use an 1849 Pleyel for it? Grieg is surely a generation on from the pianos of Chopin's time. But it's a fascinating listen.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Yes, he did, for EMI. I have that and though I enjoyed the Piano Concerto in the recording above, I wonder if it is very authentic to use an 1849 Pleyel for it? Grieg is surely a generation on from the pianos of Chopin's time. But it's a fascinating listen.
            If it were the piano Grieg actually owned and played, surely that would be ‘authentic’ enough? Grieg would hardly have bought a new piano on, say, a 5-yearly basis in order to keep bang up to date. 19 is almost nothing in ‘piano years’.

Comment

Recommendation from me for the Heidi Kommerell recording, the music is really enhanced for me by her Streicher.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                If it were the piano Grieg actually owned and played, surely that would be ‘authentic’ enough? Grieg would hardly have bought a new piano on, say, a 5-yearly basis in order to keep bang up to date. 19 is almost nothing in ‘piano years’.
                You're right! But I wonder if Pleyels were available in Norway? I will have to buy the disc and read the programme notes to see what lead to the decision to use this instrument.

Comment

... not forgetting the Egri-Pertis duo on their 1902 Pleyel double piano -

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Oh, that looks like a disc to be had, Vints!

Comment

Real Period Music Grieg would add a Hardanger Fiddle

Comment

Going slightly off topic https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...th-les-siecles
                        Don't know about anyone else but when mention of period instrument performances for music from well into the 20th century arises I start to feel very old!

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Going slightly off topic https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...th-les-siecles
                          Don't know about anyone else but when mention of period instrument performances for music from well into the 20th century arises I start to feel very old!
                          Why? Instrument-building technology continues to change with each passing year. The concerto was composed in 1868, anyway.

Comment

I have a recording of Claire Chevalier and Jos van Immerseel playing Grieg's op35 Norwegian Danses (coupled with Dvorak op46 and Brahms's Hungarian Dances 11-21 on a Bechstein from 1870. I can recommend this to anyone interested in 19th century pianos and the music written for them. Claire Chevalier has also recorded Musorgsky piano music, including a fine Pictures from an Exhibition on a Russian-built Becker piano contemporary with the music. However, this seems to have been deleted; Presto does not list it and Chevalier does not appear in their pianist listings. I bought the two discs together at Forsyth's in Manchester last autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                              I Claire Chevalier has also recorded Musorgsky piano music, including a fine Pictures from an Exhibition on a Russian-built Becker piano contemporary with the music. However, this seems to have been deleted; Presto does not list it and Chevalier does not appear in their pianist listings. I bought the two discs together at Forsyth's in Manchester last autumn.
                              ... I think amazon have it -

There is also this Chevalier/Immerseel recording, which is fun -

Comment

Working...
                              X