Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Brabant Ensemble at 25

Hannah French chats to conductor Stephen Rice about his Oxford-based choir The Brabant Ensemble which celebrates its silver anniversary in 2023. Stephen chooses some of his favourite recordings from the group's first 25 years, including music by Pierre de Manchicourt, Nicolas Gombert, Jacobus Clemens non Papa, Cristobal de Morales, Orlando Lassus, Jean Mouton, Francisco Guerrero, Giovanni da Palestrina, Josquin des Prez, Robert Parsons, Antoine de Fevin and Jacquet of Mantua.

Hannah French chats to Stephen Rice about The Brabant Ensemble's 25th anniversary.

Does she have to 'chat'?

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Hannah French chats to conductor Stephen Rice about his Oxford-based choir The Brabant Ensemble which celebrates its silver anniversary in 2023. Stephen chooses some of his favourite recordings from the group's first 25 years, including music by Pierre de Manchicourt, Nicolas Gombert, Jacobus Clemens non Papa, Cristobal de Morales, Orlando Lassus, Jean Mouton, Francisco Guerrero, Giovanni da Palestrina, Josquin des Prez, Robert Parsons, Antoine de Fevin and Jacquet of Mantua.

Hannah French chats to Stephen Rice about The Brabant Ensemble's 25th anniversary.

Does she have to 'chat'?
    This is quite a divisive ensemble -- sometimes quite British angelic choir sounding with prominent high voices from the ladies, so you have to be prepared to accept that aesthetic in renaissance polyphonic music. You also have to be prepared to accept more voices on a part than may be best.

I'm quite keen on their Gombert CD -- and that despite finding Gombert's music quite challenging.
    Last edited by Mandryka; 24-03-23, 21:13.

Comment

I'm a great fan of their CD of music from the Chirk Castle Partbooks. The sound reminds me somewhat of the Clerkes of Oxenford of fond memory, without the high trebles. Nice blend and balance and an interesting programme. It makes me curious to know more about the composer William Deane.

Comment

Yes I guess they’re in that David Wulston tradition, like Tallis Scholars. I don’t know if I agree that the resulting blend and balance is always a good thing.

Re Wulston, there’s one recording which is so good that it makes me forget any reservations, the Gibbons. It’s a bit putti angel style, but the singers are so evidently committed that I can forgive them.

Comment

Working...
        X