Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cobbe Collection at Hatchlands Park, Surrey

I've just spent a fascinating day at this beautiful 18th century National Trust property. About forty different historic keyboards on display, from Ruckers to Steinway. Some have very important connections to composers such as JC Bach, Mozart, Chopin and even Mahler and Elgar.
    Sadly nobody was playing the instruments but I later discovered the superb website which gives full details of each instrument plus many musical examples recorded on site.
    The Cobbe Collection includes the largest group of musical instruments owned or played by famous composers to be seen together anywhere in the world.

Well worth a visit !

There's a fine early-19th cent. (I think) square fortepiano at another NT property well worth a visit, Quarry Bank Mill, near Wilmslow. They also have a good second-hand bookshop (i.e. not just popular paperbacks)

Comment

There are concerts at that venue from time to time, and sometime there are tours round the instruments and someone [usually Alec Cobb] will play some of them.

See https://www.cobbecollection.co.uk/events/

I went frequently when I lived nearby, but now no longer do ... unfortunately.

There's an instrument said to belong to Marie Antoinette, plus of course instruments said to have been played on by great composers or musicians.

However I heard that in some parts - perhaps Vienna or Salzburg - when someone suggests an instrument is rare because it's been played on by Mozart, the comment is
      "Oh - there are hundreds of those. The rare ones are the ones which haven't been played by him."

Comment

I was once told Antonio Stradivari made eighteen cellos, thirty-six of which are in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          There are concerts at that venue from time to time, and sometime there are tours round the instruments and someone [usually Alec Cobb] will play some of them.

See https://www.cobbecollection.co.uk/events/

I went frequently when I lived nearby, but now no longer do ... unfortunately.

There's an instrument said to belong to Marie Antoinette, plus of course instruments said to have been played on by great composers or musicians.

However I heard that in some parts - perhaps Vienna or Salzburg - when someone suggests an instrument is rare because it's been played on by Mozart, the comment is
          "Oh - there are hundreds of those. The rare ones are the ones which haven't been played by him."
          I must say that the claims for the composer connections are stronger than most. One square piano has J C Bach's signature and it travelled with him to Paris where he entertained Mozart. The Marie Antoinette piano has the maker's label on it with the inscription that it was hers. The three pianos played on by Chopin have firm credentials, as do those by Mahler, Liszt, Bizet and Elgar.
          All in all, it's a very impressive collection and I just wish I was in the UK more in order to get to those concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I was once told Antonio Stradivari made eighteen cellos, thirty-six of which are in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I've just spent a fascinating day at this beautiful 18th century National Trust property. About forty different historic keyboards on display, from Ruckers to Steinway. Some have very important connections to composers such as JC Bach, Mozart, Chopin and even Mahler and Elgar.
              Sadly nobody was playing the instruments but I later discovered the superb website which gives full details of each instrument plus many musical examples recorded on site.
              The Cobbe Collection includes the largest group of musical instruments owned or played by famous composers to be seen together anywhere in the world.

Well worth a visit !
              They sometimes have good concerts too, if you can drive there it's worth thinking about. And I think this could be well worth going to

A tour of the Cobbe Collection of composer keyboard instruments, including pianos owned or played by Purcell, JC Bach, Mozart, Haydn and Chopin, and other gems from 300 years of musical history.

(It's only down the A3 for me -- I'm in SW19.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                They sometimes have good concerts too, if you can drive there it's worth thinking about. And I think this could be well worth going to

A tour of the Cobbe Collection of composer keyboard instruments, including pianos owned or played by Purcell, JC Bach, Mozart, Haydn and Chopin, and other gems from 300 years of musical history.

Does that make you a Womble???

Incidentally, just to remind people at this auspicious time of the year that there is a thread dedicated to places to visit, which can be found by clicking on the link below:

Favourite places to visit, little known beauty spots, places of interest and places to avoid

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

I would dearly love to, but I'll be back in France by then. Why not go along and report back to me? It looks like a fascinating programme.

Comment

For those living anywhere near Edinburgh, there's the Raymond Russell collection of early keyboard instruments. I visited it once, many years ago, and I was even allowed to play one or two...which was a bit of a favour, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russel...cilia's%20Hall.

Comment

... and for those living anywhere near London, there's the Benton Fletcher collection of early keyboard instruments at Fenton House [NT] in Hampstead

Many years ago I visited and was allowed to play - I am not sure they are so 'relaxed' these days...

Comment

There are some very enjoyable performances on the Cobbe Collection on its own YouTube Channel. Several of the performances are entertainingly introduced by Alec Cobbe, himself.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... and for those living anywhere near London, there's the Benton Fletcher collection of early keyboard instruments at Fenton House [NT] in Hampstead

Many years ago I visited and was allowed to play - I am not sure they are so 'relaxed' these days...

That would be sad, if so. I remember the instruments being very much available to music students.
                          I also had an eerie experience in the attic area of the house, convinced that a ghostly presence was there!

Comment

Working...
                          X