• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thx for notice of this.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post

There is life outside the Proms….
      There is indeed dover - but only in the watches of the night, it seems. And generally, if R3's daytime and nighttime output would only change places, I (and I daresay others on the Forum) would be very happy. It's a shame that those of us who keep daylight hours can only listen to the best of R3 via iPlayer. I have never listened, and am never likely to listen, to TTN or EML when they are broadcast.

Comment

Has the Early Music Late show morphed into the first part of TTN? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07qbmzz

I have no real objection to this, as long as I get my early music vittels.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
          Has the Early Music Late show morphed into the first part of TTN? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07qbmzz

I have no real objection to this, as long as I get my early music vittels.
          That’s just TTN doing what it does. Early Music Late was simply shoved off when The **** Proms started*. Early Music Show isn’t faring much better. Ah, well. Another two weeks. I expect I shall survive.

* We weren’t even notified, let alone offered an apology.

[ed.] Thank you for the reminder (re: the Cantar di Pietre Festival)
          Last edited by doversoul1; 29-08-16, 20:04.

Comment

Monday 5 September

How come I missed this? A feast of French Baroque music, not just the opening concert but through out albeit here and there, and to coonclude.

Catriona Young introduces motets by Charpentier performed by Ensemble Correspondances at the 2016 Zurich Early Music Festival.

The beginning of the programme is missing. Apparently the Prom overstayed.

Comment

Wednesday 21st, Alessandro Scarlatti's oratorio

Jonathan Swain presents a performance from Bruges of Alessandro Scarlatti's oratorio "Il primo omicidio", in which Cain's envy gets the better of him.

12:32 AM
              Scarlatti, Alessandro (1660-1725)
              Il primo omicidio - overo Cain - Oratorio a 6 voci, 1707
              Cain.....Sonia Prina (contralto)
              Abel.....Monica Piccinini (soprano)
              Adam...Carlo Allemano (tenor)
              Eve......Roberta Invernizzi (soprano)
              'Voice of God'.....Aurelio Schiavoni (countertenor)
              Lucifer.....Salvo Vitale (bass)
              Concerto Italiano; Rinaldo Alessandrini (director)
              Jonathan Swain presents a performance of Alessandro Scarlatti's oratorio Il primo omicidio

Incidentally, the full tilte: Il Primo Omicidio overo Cain (has someone over-interpreted the title?)

Alessandro Scarlatti's oratorios are very satisfying to listen to as a whole but rarely played or performed. Do listen if you are new to them or if you haven’t been interested in. There are quite a few works in full on youtube if you want to follow up. Or if you want to sample this performance:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              Last edited by doversoul1; 19-09-16, 20:00.

Comment

Monday 19th Schütz and Marin Marais

12:31 AM
                Schütz, Heinrich (1585-1672)
                Excerpts from 'Psalms of David': Aus der Tiefe rufe ich, Herr zu Dir, Psalm 130 (SWV.25); An den Wasser zu Babel, Psalm 137 (SWV.37)
                Academy Chorus, Lucerne, Ziv Braha (lute), Arno Jochem (violone), Ulrike Grosch (conductor)
                12:41 AM
                Martin, Frank (1890-1974)
                Passacaille (1944)
                Johannes Strobl (organ)
                12:53 AM
                Stravinsky, Igor (1882-1971)
                Mass for chorus and wind instruments
                Academy Chorus, Lucerne, Lucerne Conservatory Wind Ensemble, Ulrike Grosch (conductor)
                1:11 AM
                Schütz, Heinrich (1585-1672)
                Excerpts from 'Psalms of David': Der Herr ist mein Hirt, Psalm 123 (SWV.33); Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen, Psalm 84 (SWV.29)
                Academy Chorus, Lucerne, Ziv Braha (lute), Arno Jochem (violone), Ulrike Grosch (conductor)
                1:24 AM
                Marais, Marin (1656-1728)
                Suite No.2 for two viols in G major from 'Pièces à une et deux violes, Paris, 1686'
                Violes Esgales: Susie Napper and Margaret Little (viols)
                Jonathan Swain with choral music by Schutz and Stravinsky from the 2016 Lucerne Festival.

2:03 AM
                Kraus, Joseph Martin (1756-1792)

Comment

An absolute treat in the early hours of this morning, too, dovers:

Concerto Koln and Andreas Staier at the 2014 Chopin and his Europe International Music Festival

Jonathan Swain presents a concert from Concerto Köln, conducted by Michael Güttler, in a programme of Beethoven and Dussek with pianist Andreas Staier.

Beethoven, Ludwig van [1770-1827]
                  Overture in C major Op.115 (zur Namensfeier)
                  Concerto Köln, Michael Güttler (conductor)

12:38 AM
                  Dussek, Jan Ladislav [1760-1812]
                  Piano Concerto in G minor Op 49
                  Andreas Staier (piano), Concerto Köln, Michael Güttler (conductor)

1:08 AM
                  Bagatelle in E flat, Op 126 no 3
                  Andreas Staier (piano)

1:12 AM
                  Symphony no. 4 in B flat major, Op.60
                  Concerto Köln, Michael Güttler (conductor)

The piano concerto has an endearing slow movement, and the whole thing merits repeat listening; and it's as thrilling a performance of Beethoven 4 as I've ever heard! Fun surprise encore too!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

St Matthew Passion: Monday 3 October

John Shea presents a performance from Brussels of Bach's St Matthew Passion with the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque soloists conducted by John Eliot Gardiner.

Comment

Looking forward to Daniel Sepec's Rosary Sonatas tonight. I have his SACDs of the work where, in addition to Hille Perl and Michael Behringer, he was joined by Lee Santana playing Archlute and Theorbo. I wonder if Santana simply got left off the listing for TtN?

John Shea presents a performance from Poland of Biber's Rosary Sonatas.

Comment

I think this is a repeat and a very welcome one. If it isn’t a repeat, it’s even more welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                          I think this is a repeat and a very welcome one. If it isn’t a repeat, it’s even more welcome.
                          Previously broadcast on 10th May 2014 and on 9th December 2014.
                          Last edited by subcontrabass; 12-10-16, 21:36.

Comment

Hesperion XXI and Jordi Savall at the 2016 Lucerne Festival

Saturday 15. October

1.01am
                            John Shea presents a concert of traditional melodies from Jewish, Muslim and Christian sacred music from the Mediterranean, performed by Jordi Savall and Hespèrion XXI.

Comment

Baroque Guitar Recital: Thursday 3 November

Jonathan Swain presents Baroque guitarist Pierre Pitzl in a recital of music by Francesca Corbetta, Robert de Visee and Gaspar Sanz, recorded at the 2015 Concentus Moraviae International Music Festival in the Czech Republic.
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080xtcp

Comment

Salomone Rossi

Monday 14 November
                                Ars Cantus at the 2013 Songs of Our Roots International Early Music Festival

John Shea presents Salomone Rossi's Hebrew Psalms and instrumental canzonas with Ars Cantus and Tomasz Dobrzanski, at the 2013 Songs of Our Roots International Early Music Festival.

Rossi, Salomone [c.1570-c.1630]
                                Hebrew Psalms and Instrumental Canzonas
                                Ars Cantus, Tomasz Dobrzanski (director), Rabbi Yitzhak Horowitz
                                1:20 AM
                                Traditional
                                Elohim haschivenu - Psalm 80
                                Ars Cantus, Tomasz Dobrzanski (director)

I think this is a repeat but worth hearing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X