No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Triumphs of Oriana

Monday 12.31
    John Shea presents the Triumphs of Oriana: English madrigals written for Queen Elizabeth I

This is a repeat from not so long ago and whilst not all music is great, it is an interesting programme.

Comment

Willem de Fesch's oratorio Joseph.

Monday 4 August 12.31

This is a repeat. Lighter than Handel but I think it is well performed and very enjoyable.
      John Shea presents music including Willem de Fesch's oratorio Joseph.

Comment

Arias by Cesti, Telemann, and Hoffman

A couple of enjoyable concerts of Baroque arias.

Thursday 7th 12.31
        Arias for soprano by by Cesti
        John Shea presents Cesti arias sung by soprano Raquel Andueza with La Galania.

Sunday 10th 1.01
        Arias for tenor by Telemann and Hoffmann followed by Handel, Buxtehude and Veracini

Comment

Not perhaps very early music, but wonderful music given a HIPP performance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04d4jcf

Available on LA until Sunday.

Comment

Telemann’s oratorio: Monday 18th

12:31 AM
            Der Tag des Gerichts (The Day of Judgment) (TWV 6:8)

followed by Weiss, Pisendel, and Zelenka
            Catriona Young's selection includes Telemann's final oratorio, Der Tag des Gerichts.

Comment

Kozeluh's Sinfonia Concertante

This was rather different! (TTN last night, 23 August). A sinfonia concertante for mandolin, trumpet, double bass and piano. Rather enjoyable, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                This was rather different! (TTN last night, 23 August). A sinfonia concertante for mandolin, trumpet, double bass and piano. Rather enjoyable, actually.
                One of those "weird" Sinfonias concertantes which were recorded by the Academy-of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields/Iona Brown end 1970s on EMI - all composers around Mozart and Beethoven who are hardly known, but definitely enjoyable: Abel, Crusell, Danzi, Hoffmeister, Pleyel, Ritter, Schneider and von Winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  One of those "weird" Sinfonias concertantes which were recorded by the Academy-of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields/Iona Brown end 1970s on EMI - all composers around Mozart and Beethoven who are hardly known, but definitely enjoyable: Abel, Crusell, Danzi, Hoffmeister, Pleyel, Ritter, Schneider and von Winter.

... many thanks - have ordered this 3CD EMI box :

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004N96I0K
                    I want I want I want!!

... EDIT: I got I got I got!

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                    Like the sound of that line-up! Perhaps written for a bet after a night in a Bierkeller with musical mates who happened to play the instruments in question...?

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 24-08-14, 10:12.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004N96I0K
                      Indeed vinteuil, that's the one I meant.
                      Happy listening

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Indeed vinteuil, that's the one I meant.
                        Happy listening
                        Infuriating track listing online from Warners: who wrote what?!

The home of classical music: Warner Classics and Erato present artists from Maria Callas to Joyce DiDonato, Mstislav Rostropovich to Gautier Capuçon

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Infuriating track listing online from Warners: who wrote what?!

http://www.warnerclassics.com/shop/5...ante-sinfonien
                          Cross-referring the Warner link movement names with the movement order on CDs on amazon link will sort things out for you, not ideal I know but think of your blood pressure

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Cross-referring the Warner link movement names with the movement order on CDs on amazon link will sort things out for you, not ideal I know but think of your blood pressure
                            Oh I always do!

Thanks ams - but I found this alternative: a listing for a previous CPO manifestation of the set which sets out composers and instrument combinations (also missing from the Warner list ):

Comment

This is also an excellent collection of lesser known composers, played quite brilliantly by my favourite period band, Concerto Koln. Well worth exploring, especially the Vanhal, quite one of the most exciting Sturm and Drang discs I know:

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                a listing for a previous CPO manifestation of the set which sets out composers and instrument combinations

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/...n/hnum/7479810
                                ... thanks for this - which irritatingly reminds me I already possess this CD set in its earlier guise (currently in a storage warehouse in Acton... ). Ah well, the newer EMI box has only cost me £8, and I'm sure I can find a use for it...

Comment

Working...
                                X