X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Bach / Philippe Herreweghe :Monday 17th
    12:31 AM (shouldn’t it be 00.31am?)[...]
    Also Pieter Hellendaal, who I'd never heard of before I found TTN: always worth a listen IMV.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

Palestrina, Handel, and Gluck

A good week for early music

Monday : 24th
      Palestrina's Missa Nigra sum and Canticum Canticorum with Alamire Chamber Chorus directed by David Skinner
      Jonathan Swain presents a concert of Palestrina with the Alamire Chamber Chorus.

Tuesday: 25th
      Sara Mingardo and Roberta Invernizzi with Il Giardino Armonico in Handel's Trionfo del Tempo e Disinganno

Wednesday: 26th
      (not exactly early music but still one foot, or a toe, in it)
      Gluck's Opera Iphigénie en Tauride performed by Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra
      Lukasz Borowicz (conductor)
      Jonathan Swain presents music including Gluck's opera Iphigenie en Tauride.

Comment

Schutz and Biber

Monday 8 December
        Schutz's Musikalische Exequien performed by Vox Luminis.

Along with Schutz, Vox Luminis performs Johann Michael, Johann Christoph, and Johann Ludwig Bach.
        John Shea's selection includes Schutz's Musikalische Exequien performed by Vox Luminis.

Tuesday 9 December
        Biber's Rosary Sonatas performed by Daniel Sepec (violin), Hille Perl (viola da gamba), Michael Behringer (harpsichord and organ)
        A selection of music including Biber's Rosary Sonatas, featuring violinist Daniel Sepec.

Comment

Historical Guitars: Boxing Day

Catriona Young presents music performed on historical guitars from the Museu de la Musica, Barcelona
          Catriona Young presents a selection of Spanish music performed on historical guitars.

Music by Antonio de Cabezon, Gaspar Sanz, and many more.

Comment

Tonight Sun 28 > Mon 29/12 a lot of really "early" music:

12:31 AM
            Anonymous
            Sancta Trinitas
            Psallentes Plainchant Ensemble, Hendrik Vandeen Abeele (director)

12:39 AM
            Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)
            O vis aeternitatis (Responsorium) - for voice, female chorus, 2 fiddles, organistrum
            Sequentia: Laurie Monahan (solo voice), Barbara Thornton, Gundula Anders, Pamela Dellal, Elizabeth Glen, Heather Knutson, Susanne Norin, Janet Youngdahl (chorus), Elizabeth Gaver & Elisabetta de Mircovich (fiddles), Benjamin Bagby (organistrum)

12:47 AM
            Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)
            Instrumental piece
            Sequentia

12:52 AM
            Anonymous
            Mulieres religiosae

1:21 AM
            Hollander, Christian (1510/15-1569)
            Ave Maria
            Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet

1:22 AM
            Willaert, Adrian (c.1490-1562)
            A la fontaine du prez
            Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet

1:28 AM
            Anonymous
            Fundatrix begginarum

1:37 AM
            Folquet de Marseille (c 1155-1231)
            Flores sur 'Tant m'abellis l'amoros pessamens'
            Ensemble Lucidarium

1:41 AM
            Gautier d'Espinal (c.1215-c.1272)
            Puis que en moi a recouvré seignorie
            Ensemble Lucidarium: Annemieke Cantor (voice) (with instrumental introduction played by Francis Biggi)

1:47 AM
            Thibault IV de Navarre (1201-1253)
            Robert veez de Perron (instrumental)
            Ensemble Lucidarium

1:50 AM
            Anonymous
            Corpus et sanguis Christi; Summe Trinitatis, responsory, from 'Sancta Trinitas'

2:10 AM
            Anonymous
            Ave verum corpus

2:13 AM

Comment

This week Catriona played a Gesualdo Miserere. Do any of the members know anymore about the recording or the work?

j

Comment

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                This week Catriona played a Gesualdo Miserere. Do any of the members know anymore about the recording or the work?
                I haven't heard and on paper don't know this particular recording.
                Psalm 51 is one of the late works of Gesualdo's.
                I suspect his depressions at that time plus the text of the Miserere together are the base of this for Gesualdo's works unusually deep tessitura (the constant use of low voices).
                Remarkable too are the plain chant like periods alternating with the polyphonic ones, which are chromatic to an extent which is unusual even by Gesualdo's own standards.

A deeply unsettling and haunted piece IMVHO.

Comment

Roehre,

I knew you would have an answer. I totally agree with you that it was an unsettling and haunted piece. I could not find the recording on any of the usual sites. I don't have many recordings of Gesualdo in my collection and was thinking of adding a disc or so, currently Madrigals Books 1 & 5 by Delitiae Musicae and The Hilliard Ensemble respectively. I may add the Tenebrae responses but not sure. Thanks for the information on the TTN.

J

Comment

Zelenka, Rameau, and Mazovia Goes Baroque

Friday 9
                    This is a repeat from not long ago but is quite spectacular.
                    Zelenka
                    Sub olea pacis et palma virtutis - melodrama de S. Wenceslao ZWV.175 (Under the Olive Tree of Peace and the Palm Tree of Virtue the Crown of Bohemia Splendidly Shines Before the Whole World: Melodrama to Saint Wenceslaus)

Nest week:
                    Monday 12
                    Les Arts Florissants and William Christie perform the composer's Grand Motets at the 2014 BBC Proms.
                    From the 2014 Proms: Les Arts Florissants and William Christie in Rameau's Grands Motets.

Wednesday 14
                    A concert from the 2012 Mazovia Goes Baroque festival, featuring the United Continuo Ensemble and tenor Jan Kobow
                    John Shea presents a concert from the 2012 Mazovia Goes Baroque festival.

(why are the two links identical?)

What is it about this Mazovia Goes Baroque? Not a week seems to go by without TTN playing a work or a concert from this festival. Not that I have any complaints whatsoever.
                    Last edited by doversoul1; 09-01-15, 13:34.

Comment

From 17th century Romania

Saturday 31 January
                      1.00am
                      Musica Profana and their director Zsolt Szabo perform music from the 17th century Romanian Caioni Codex.
                      Includes Musica Profana performing music from the 17th-century Romanian Caioni Codex.

Wonderful music and an excellent performance.

[ed.] including, at 0.40
                      A fairly genuine sounding gypsy song and a hurdy-gurdy dance music.
                      Last edited by doversoul1; 02-02-15, 10:13.

Comment

On the later boundary of early music, but I enjoyed listening to a Bohemian curiosity from this morning's TtN, Leopold Kozeluch's Sinfonia Concertante in E flat for piano, mandolin, trumpet, double bass and orchestra, which I think is likely to be one of the few works for that precise combination of instruments Kozeluch seems to have been well regarded in Vienna (he was offered but declined the post serving the Archbishop at Salzburg following Mozart's unceremonious exit) and was a very prolific composer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050xkzz

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          On the later boundary of early music, but I enjoyed listening to a Bohemian curiosity from this morning's TtN, Leopold Kozeluch's Sinfonia Concertante in E flat for piano, mandolin, trumpet, double bass and orchestra, which I think is likely to be one of the few works for that precise combination of instruments Kozeluch seems to have been well regarded in Vienna (he was offered but declined the post serving the Archbishop at Salzburg following Mozart's unceremonious exit) and was a very prolific composer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050xkzz
                          Has been recorded by ASMIF/Brown in the late 1970s on EMI with 5 other rather weirdly orchestrated Sinfonias concertantes.

Lovely pieces, not earth shaking music, but nevertheless recommendable.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-02-15, 10:16.

Comment

Rameau and Puecell: 4 Wednesday

Kozeluch
                            20 hits on Presto Classical. He must have been one of many excellent ‘jobbing composers’ (I rather like the concept).

Rameau and Puecell:
                            Catriona Young presents performances of Rameau's Pygmalion and Purcell's The Fairy Queen
                            Rameau, Jean-Philippe [1683-1764]
                            Pygmalion - acte de ballet
                            Elodie Fonnard (soprano), Rachel Redmond (soprano), Reinoud van Mechelen (tenor), Yannis François (bass baritone), European Union Baroque Orchestra, Paul Agnew (director)
                            1:15 AM
                            Purcell, Henry [1659-1695]
                            The Fairy Queen - opera Z.629 (abridged version for EUBO by Simon Heighes)
                            Elodie Fonnard (soprano), Rachel Redmond (soprano), Reinoud van Mechelen (tenor), Yannis François (bass baritone), European Union Baroque Orchestra, Paul Agnew (director)
                            2:02 AM
                            Purcell, Henry [1659-1695]
                            Now the Night is chased away (from The Fairy Queen)
                            Catriona Young presents performances of Rameau's Pygmalion and Purcell's The Fairy Queen.

Comment

Yes, that ASMF/Consortium Classicum set of unfamiliar Sinfonias Concertantes looks interesting, and also the disc called Baroque Bohemia and Beyond vol 3 which includes symphonies by Brixi, Linek, Kozeluch and Anton Reicha (the last another good-while-not-great composer). I wonder if Suffolkcoastal has covered Kozeluch in one of his composer surveys.

Comment

CPE Bach: Die Israeliten in der Wüste

Monday 9 February
                                Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel (1714-1788)
                                Oratorio: Die Israeliten in der Wüste (Wq238)
                                Barbara Schlick, Lena Lootens (sopranos), Hein Meens (tenor), Stephen Varcoe (bass), Corona Coloniensis, Cappella Coloniensis, William Christie (director)

Jonathan Swain's selection includes CPE Bach's oratorio Die Israeliten in der Wuste.

(I think this may have been posted somewhere on the Forum)

Comment

Working...
                                X