• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

St Patrick's Day and Lullaby

Saturday
    Catherine Bott marks St Patrick's Day with highlights from two concerts given at the 2011 Kilkenny Arts Festival. The programme includes music by Bach, Telemann, Ravenscroft & Byrd alongside traditional Irish tunes. The performers are Camerata Kilkenny and soprano Niamh McCormack with recorder player Laoise O'Brien, guitarist John Feeley, gamba-player Sarah Groser, fiddle player Odhran O Casaide and Francesco Turrisi on percussion
    Catherine Bott marks St Patrick's Day with highlights from 2011's Kilkenny Arts Festival.

Sunday
    Lucie Skeaping explores the tender art of the lullaby, from ancient melody to Elizabethan song, and discovers how this most intimate of forms offers inspiration to the world of early music.
    The act of rocking a child to sleep with a gentle tune is one of our most simple and natural forms of music-making. They are common to all cultures and ages, and though they are varied, they all share remarkable similarities. Their words are soothing, using onomatopoeic and nonsense sounds, like the 'ninna nanna' of Italy and the English 'lulla lulla'. (repeat)

Lucie Skeaping explores the art of the lullaby and its inspiration to early music.
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

There's a whole world of wonderful music here. Should be great & worth recording.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I have a running argument with singing mates and even some whole choirs about how to pronounce 'lully' (as in 'lully' lullay'). I am a protagonist of the loo-lly tendency, because for me, the 'oo' sound is more sleep inducing. But there are lu-[short u]-lly diehards. Any definitve scholarship out there?

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

No scholarship. Commonsense would seem to favour 'loo.'

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I don't think there is any "definitive scholarship" (how do people pronounce "brass"?): generally I'd think "lu" as in "Luke" for "lullay", "lu" as in "lull" for "lullaby". But it would mainly depend on the note length of the syllable.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X